applestar
Mod

Re: Time to plant for fall garden

I spoke too soon.... :evil:
Demise of the Golden Summer Squash
Demise of the Golden Summer Squash
-- I don't know if you can tell in the photo, but part of the reason the stem was completely severed was that some birds had a thorough go at the SVB's. there were bird poop every where. :twisted:

Garden Beauty snow peas are blooming:
image.jpg
Do you want to see an update photo of the container cukes? There's one fruit that looks almost ready to pick 8)
image.jpg
(De Arbol and Trinidad Perfum hot peppers in the foreground)

applestar
Mod

Harvested first cucumber from the plant in the Spiral Garden a few days ago, and harvested the first cucumber from the container today. 70's/50's for a couple of days then back down in the 40's at night with high's only in the 60's. -- I think I might bring in the container by the end of the week.

Wouldn't you say cucumber plants would be happier where it's warmer at 70's/60's with as much direct sun as possible? ...so upstairs, I think.

applestar
Mod

Daikon and arugula are doing really well. Getting nice arugula harvest right now:
Daikon getting some size and nice arugula
Daikon getting some size and nice arugula
. There are also Swiss red chard and carrots planted here.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

A very common lunch for me here in the south window, yesterday:

I'm right back to early spring with snow pea pods, cilantro and scallions. Gotta be honest, the only onions I've got now are sweet onions. A quick saute of shallots would be the choice if the soopermarket scallions were not so quickly at hand. The cilantro is from summer-sown seed, of course. In the spring, there will be a few over-wintered plants. That cilantro will be the nicest of the year.

The last of the "fresh" garden produce and they are what has been in the crisper drawer for nearly a week. Oh, I guess there's some bok choy in there still. Bok choy getting established in the greenhouse, too. We will have to see if those plants do okay.

Dried, frozen & stored - despite our unseasonably warm weather at the moment, the garden is finished producing for the year. Light frosts every single morning . . .

Steve

applestar
Mod

Looks yum! Is that Thai/Vietnamese type rice noodles? What kind of dressing?

Here's my (mostly from the fall garden) breakfast treat this morning :D
Left over lump crab meat and Cherokee Tiger Large Red tomato wedges on a bed of arugula accented with chickweed, carrot and beet thinnings, young pea shoots -- garnished with sliced regular and icicle radish, blanched green peas, diced chopped yellow Trinidad Perfum pepper and minced Mexican Mint Marigold aka Texas Tarragon -- dressed with aged salty Plum vinegar (a by-product of umeboshi making process a couple of years ago), EVOO, and freshly ground black pepper.
image.jpg
Not pictured are toasted blueberry bagel slices slathered with butter and a mug of freshly ground and brewed organic coffee served black :()

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Oh gosh, Applestar!!

I can't compete with that with my simple fare!

About all I can do is point out that your breakfast salad certainly isn't traditional but my 7 grain hot cereal with butter and honey, Honeycrisp apple slices on the side and a cup of freshly ground Columbian coffee (served black) - nothing from the garden - is traditional but dullsville by comparison!

The rice noodles are "Phnom Penh style" and would just look like a bowl of pho if I'd set chopsticks across the top of the bowl, included more broth, and sprinkled on bean sprouts! (You know, I have grown and sprouted mung beans but . . . it has been ages :roll: !)

Okay, mung beans next year!!

Steve

imafan26
Mod

All I can say is YUM. Both of your lunches look a lot better than I put out any day.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”