JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Re: You gotta love July for the garden produce.

Just did a little picking myself....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Alright, Glue those green bell peppers back on. I like them when they are ripe. Red, Yellow, Orange or white. Much sweeter.

Your harvest looks good

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:evil: HEY! My eyes are up here. :evil:

Eric

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Alright, Glue those green bell peppers back on. I like them when they are ripe. Red, Yellow, Orange or white. Much sweeter.

Your harvest looks good

Eric
Agreed....but these ones were destined for a batch of my wife's green pepper jelly. I'm pretty excited about the giant jalapenos though...always only grew the regular ones. The bigguns should be good for stuffing....

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It all looks good! Ohio-tiller that is a lot of potatoes. I have been to busy to plant much of a veggie garden but next year I plan to. There are lots of fresh vegetables grown around me, and I even have been given some by my wonderful neighbors. But nevertheless I am green with envy.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote::evil: HEY! My eyes are up here. :evil:

Eric
Nice melons! :lol:

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Picked 26 gallons of these yesterday morning
and I am guessing around 40 tomatoes! 1 watermelon amd 2 cooking pumpkins!

mattie g
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Alright, Glue those green bell peppers back on. I like them when they are ripe. Red, Yellow, Orange or white. Much sweeter.

Your harvest looks good

Eric
Agreed - I always let them get their color. I often do the same with jalapenos - they get a bit hotter, but develop a sweetness to them as well. Green peppers of any sort seem to have a bitterness that just doesn't go over well with me. I'll use green jalapenos for color contrast though.

Jay...I make my pepper jelley with red jalapenos and red bells (and dried apricots). Similar idea as the green jelly, I'd imagine, but with a little different taste.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote: :evil: HEY! My eyes are up here. :evil:

Eric
Nice melons! :lol:
They're Synthetic. :roll:

Eric

bryce d
Cool Member

Last time I had jalapeno jelly, it was like getting hit by a MACK truck.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller, O'migosh, that is a lot of beans. Hope you had sale for them and didn't have to can them. ;)

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Tomatoes are winding down....including my "mystery potato leaf volunteer" (there's a thread about them on the tomato boards, here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 78&t=54244

Anyway....just a couple pics....

some of the previously mentioned mystery potato leafs

and some cukes. The vines look like hell, with the vast majority of the leaves looking like some sort of shriveled up mummified mess. Still producing fruit though. I only had 4 plants total, and have gotten great production. I've done 2 big batches of pickles this year along with countless mater and cuke salads....

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Ohio Tiller, O'migosh, that is a lot of beans. Hope you had sale for them and didn't have to can them. ;)
Nope only canned 26 quarts of this bunch and that did it for me on beans for the year. I gave the rest away to the folks at work and my neighbors. I have never sold a single thing from my gardens as of yet. The In-laws went up and picked 20 gallons yesterday and that’s still not the end of them in I say about 2 weeks I will have that many again. The beans have gone crazy this year!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”