sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Been busy this year, so glad I put in a weed mat!

I haven't been around much this summer on here. I've been so busy, I haven't had much time in my garden! But, the melon plants seem to be growing well. they're all over the place and we have a few melons growing.

The watermelon is just starting to blossom now, I'm afraid I won't have any watermelons this year. I have a mystery squash, I'm thinking it must be some type of a cross. It came up in an odd place and I let it grow.

I have a gigantic pumpkin plant coming out of the compost pile, a big pumpkin on it!

tomatoes are far behind :( :( :( and now disease is setting in. I should have did some more preventative measures. I thought for sure I dodged it this year, but once I posted that they were doing great, the next day I saw disease :( ugh.

Green beans are starting to almost be ready t pick. The potatoes are doing fine I think, but they got blown over by a big thunderstorm.

Cucumbers are flowering now too. Getting really excited about that! Squash is flowering too. But, I need to put some compost or something on this other area that I put seeds in. by the road, away from my garden. I put squash and pumpins there to see how it would go! I had some dirt left over when they dumped the pile a few years ago, so I shoveled it together and stuck in some seeds. but the leaves are yellowy. nutrients, right?

gunsmokex
Cool Member

Its very cool to see someone else from zone 4b and hear about your progress and tribulations. I'm having my first go at a garden this year, I should have done it along time ago. Are you in the mountains in Maine somewhere, I'm just curious what the landscape is like out there. I'm out on the prarie in a stream bottom which is great for humidity and wind protection, and beneficial bugs but I unfortunately usually get the first frost of the year :( As it nears closer though I'm going to get some of the silage tarp my dad uses (he feeds cattle) and then spread that out over the whole garden to form a canopy for the cold nights.

If you've got yellow leaves yes its probably a nitrogen defifiency. What kind of disease do your tomatoes have?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Not in the mountains, about half an hour from the coast.

I put some lobster compost around the plants, hopefully that will help! it rained a little this afternoon, but not enough. I'm going to water it in a little more tomorrow

I get septoria and early blight every year on the tomatoes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”