UncleMike
Newly Registered

Jalapeno plant seems to have stopped producing.

I live in a condo, so I've planted a patio picker garden. My jalapeno plant has grown to about 2 feet tall and has produced 4 really good peppers. I've read on other searches that picking them will instigate more produce, but I have yet to see even a flower in 3 weeks. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong. The plant is still growing in height, and I'm watering every other day through a self watering system. The temp has been between 90-100 degrees consistently this summer as well.
I appreciate any feed back. Thank you.

bowhuntaz

I've experienced that some types of jalapenos will pause production If the heat gets to be too much.
Let it ride a while and I bet you'll start seeing flowers soon when the temps start cooling off a little bit.
I know mine didn't like temps over about 95, despite watering twice a day.

mattie g
Green Thumb

A two-foot-tall jalapeño plant that has only produced four peppers...

Are you fertilizing? If so, what kind? One with a lot of nitrogen?

My jalapeños start slowly, but by about this time of the year they're about 12-18" tall and have produced a few early peppers, but have already started their big push of production. I expect that, assuming no disease issues, each of my jalapeño plants will put out at least a dozen more peppers (possibly many more than that) by the time my season ends in late October. And the plants never get much bigger than 18-24".

It could be that yours will kick in at any time. If so, they should really start producing big time. But if not, it could be that their energy is going into making leaves rather than flowers/peppers. And that can mean they're getting too much nitrogen, which is a nutrient that promotes leafy growth.

imafan26
Mod

You are growing them indoors, how much light do they get? Peppers will stop production with temperatures that are either too cold or too hot but they also will do a lot of growing and not make much peppers if they get a lot of nitrogen and not enough light.

UncleMike
Newly Registered

Thanks for the feedback. Iam growing them outdoors. They were planted with a bag of miracle gro soil that was suggested by the garden expert at Home Depot...for what that may be worth, but I'm sure he knew a lot more than me.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”