TamaraJM

Ants in the Broccoli!

Heya guys, I'm new on the forum. We just moved to Mississippi and are starting a veggie/herb garden. My mother has been here since December, and has a nice little garden going, but things aren't growing very well. Some are, but some are not at all.

One such thing is her broccoli. It came up and leafed out but never started forming the buds. Things have been eating the leaves and we weren't sure what was doing that, but while de-weeding yesterday I noticed an unusual amount of really tiny ants. I've googled a bit and found that ants do indeed love to eat broccoli, but haven't found any ideas for getting them safely out of the garden.

Anys ideas on how to get rid of these pesky little guys? We really want to stay organic and not use pesticides or the like.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Through some lengthy discusions some years ago we came to the conclusion that to rid Ants from the garden use: Cinnamon. You can buy the extra large jars of it from some stores. Seems to work quite well.

TamaraJM

Ooooh thank you. That's a great idea. See, I'd have never thought of cinnamon. I'm guessing that it's perfectly safe for animals, too.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”