freedhardwoods

Peppers

I don't eat peppers and have never grown them before. Here is some cayenne peppers I have picked.

I could use any info about them. Are the dark ones over-ripe?; what can you use them in or for, etc.
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

They'er not over ripe. Pick them as soon or as late as you like, they are good for one thing or another.

picked early way before ripe they can be nice with to nip at while eating dinner.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I tried to respond but my post seemed to not go through.

I grow these very peppers along with 4 other varieties of hot peppers. I use them for salsas, making pepper jellies, drying to cook with at a later date and pickling.

I'll sometimes pickle all five of the hot peppers I'm growing as a medley that consists of Belgian Hot Wax, Jalapeno, Cayenne, Habanero and Ghost Peppers.

I've made Habanero and Ghost Pepper Jelly a couple times these past few weeks and that stuff is excellent.

Those peppers are nice and ripe. If left on the bush much longer they will simply rot on you. If like mine, they are at first green then turn a bit yellow, then orange, then finally red.

I use these peppers to make hot vinegar by putting them in an old hot sauce bottle or Worcestershire bottle with the plastic restrictor on the top. I'll pack about 20 or so in the bottle whole, mix room temperature vinegar and salt it to taste then pour it in the bottle and let it set for a couple weeks before using it. I like to use it as a vinegar for some salads or on red beans when we have them on Monday's here in N.O.

*dim*
Cool Member

chop one up finely and add to your spaggetti bolognaise sauce

or chop one finely and add to your pizza before cooking in the oven

or add one (or two) to your curry sauce when you cook it

loads more .... very versatile if you like a little 'kick' with your food

freedhardwoods

Thanks for all the info. :D

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

If you pick what is on the plant they tend to produce more.

n8young
Cool Member

I grow cherry bomb hot peppers, and they are great.....I rough chop them for pizza, or core them and stuff them for appetizers......or my favorite was coring, and stuffing with an italian sausage, and ricotta cheese mix, baking them in the oven, and then topping them on pasta with marinara sauce......spicey, delicious, and good....mmmmm, now I'm hungry.

I also like to do the traditional hot pepper jelly, salsa, and I even throw them in my green tomato relish for a spicier version....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”