SunshineAcres

Cantaloupe help please

My cantaloupe plants are doing very well! This is the first year I've grown them. I've grown pumpkins previously so I ask, should I pick off every other blossom so the ones that are left grow larger? Any other special care you can recommend? Thanks.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Although I don't have the best Mellon history I do know they suggest only letting one fruit set on a pumpkin vine to force the plants energy into the fruit. Principle is likely the same. That said with a small fruit like that id be inclined to let it all go and focus on volume not size :)

There is also a school of thought about pinching the growing tip after it has set fruit. Again I like to experiment so is probably try one of each :) see what works in your garden :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you don't have to worry about it and the vine will only keep how many melons it can support:

Despite the many female blossoms, each vine will produce only three or four melons. Most young melons will grow to the size of an egg, then shrivel as they send their nutrients back into the vines. Fertilize with compost tea when the fruits set and again 2 weeks later.
https://www.organicgardening.com/learn-a ... e?page=0,1

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”