jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Garlic Harvest

I dug my garlic yesterday. These are what I am keeping for planting later.

btrowe1

That looks like quite a haul, and this is what your holding to replant next year.. wow..Yours looks very good..

I just dug mine up today, Does one keep the largest for next year? I notice you have cut off your tops and bottoms,does this help in preserving them for fall planting?? Does one keep the largest for fall planting?? so may questions for a first timer.

By the look of your pile you will have lots for next year. I started with 3 bulbs,got 21.Looking to keep maybe 8 to 10 bulbs this year.Is that to many?

The person who gave them to me said plant for 3 consectutive years then begin giving away. Can"t get any more answers from him as he passed this past year. Really wanted to thank him as this stuff really grew well.

as always thank you..

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

They look really good James. I have forgotten what variety youi grow. Maybe they no longer have a name if saved from year to year.

I received "0" posts on my garlic harvest. Hope you don't mind that I add a picture here.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I never had a name. My neighbor gave me several (nameless) varieties to try. This is the one that has done best under my conditions. It kinda looks like Chesnok Red. I did try Musik but was not impressed. (some call it Music.)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You have a nice harvest there.

I have grown Elephant garlic for many years, but only got into real garlic recently. Those in the pic are the largest of my crop. I like to plant the largest cloves. They give the largest bulbs next season. Those in the picture are about 1/4 of my total crop.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Someday I may try elephant garliic but Music or Musik does really well hear.

Interesting how slightly different soils, climates, seasons give varying results.

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Wow. I just harvested my garlic and was very disappointed at the size of the bulbs. They are about half the size I would have been happy with. This fall I am going to buy an actual named variety to see how that does.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I planted some no-name garlic from the supermarket and got these:

Am I supposed to let these dry/cure/ripen/whatever before using them? I read one article that recommended 30-60 days of hanging before use.

Mine have been out of the ground now for 5 weeks, so they should be OK in any case, but I thought I'd ask since I've never grown garlic before!

When's the optimal time to put cloves back in the ground for next year if I don't have a true winter?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Whoa! Your supermarket garlic is huge compared to mine.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvested 1/2 my garlic about June 1st, harvested the rest about July 1st, got 49 nice size garlics.

It turned out good. I have made chili, and lots of Mexican food several times already.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I just dug mine up today, Does one keep the largest for next year? I notice you have cut off your tops and bottoms,does this help in preserving them for fall planting?? Does one keep the largest for fall planting?? so may questions for a first timer.

By the look of your pile you will have lots for next year. I started with 3 bulbs,got 21.Looking to keep maybe 8 to 10 bulbs this year.Is that to many?
Yes, the larger cloves give larger bulbs next year. Eat the small ones.
I just pulled/dug them and removed root and stalk then dried them for a week in the shade. They will keep all winter at room temperature in a paper bag like this. Works for me.

That bunch I kept for planting will give me about 300 plants for next year. Ya, that is a lot of garlic, but I sell at a local market. It took me 3 years playing with several varieties to come up with this one I like best and build up its numbers to where I want to be. With 300 I will have plenty to both sell and eat .

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm........ just spent some time with internet searches on "curing garlic" and it seems most recommend leaving on the leaves, stems and roots until after the curing process. I will have to give that a go next year. Too late for this year. I am thinking about tying it in bundles and hanging them in the tractor shed.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:Whoa! Your supermarket garlic is huge compared to mine.
Heh. Half of those are onions :D

The garlic is a pretty decent size, but it's not huge.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I planted 62 cloves and got 62 bulbs I was rather happy with that return.

Blackgoats
Newly Registered

Has anyone noticed how difficult it is getting to order garlic and have it shipped. More and more states seem to be prohibiting the movement of bulbs due to diseases being transmitted interstate. I am happy I was able to plant half a pound last Oct and harvested nine pounds the beginning of July. We are having a garlic festival with all our friends this next weekend. :D

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
ReptileAddiction wrote:Whoa! Your supermarket garlic is huge compared to mine.
Heh. Half of those are onions :D

The garlic is a pretty decent size, but it's not huge.

Well, oops. Still mine are fairly small compared to your garlic.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Blackgoats wrote:Has anyone noticed how difficult it is getting to order garlic and have it shipped. More and more states seem to be prohibiting the movement of bulbs due to diseases being transmitted interstate. I am happy I was able to plant half a pound last Oct and harvested nine pounds the beginning of July. We are having a garlic festival with all our friends this next weekend. :D

I have bought mine from https://www.territorialseed.com/ for years and never had an issue

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We are having a garlic festival with all our friends this next weekend.
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for trading. Trade and plant this Fall.

Eric

ChrisC_77

DoubleDogFarm wrote:They look really good James. I have forgotten what variety youi grow. Maybe they no longer have a name if saved from year to year.

I received "0" posts on my garlic harvest. Hope you don't mind that I add a picture here.

Eric
Very nice haul! However, our dog looks very unimpressed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”