Souseiki
Newly Registered

Cucumber seedlings need help!!

Hey, my name is David. I'm new at growing and my Cucumber seedlings need help :(

I have 5 Cucumber seedlings. I bought these at the store about 5 days ago. I think I put them through a-lot of shock.

2 of the 5 plants were together and 3 plants of the 5 plants were also together. I had to separate them to transplant them into separate pots. Doing so, I did ripped a-lot of roots, they did droop for about 1 day, and then they started to spring back up.

Here they all are and they are very small.

Here is a comparison of how close it's to the lights.

I use these lights:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0031CA ... UTF8&psc=1

I usually give them around 8 hours of light every day. The light does give off a-lot of heat, so I put the plants on the very bottom, and when I put my hand over the plant, I barely feel any heat.

Watering I'm still not sure how to do so, but, I usually let my plants dry out then water them. I do use tap water, but, because of the chlorine, I boil the water for about 20-25 minutes, and letting it sit there until water is room temperature before watering.

Soil, I actually just using some regular Miracle Grow soil but, I've bought new soil yesterday and re-transplanted them today using :

- Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (65-75% by volume)
- Sea-based compost (composted shrimp shells and seaweed)
- Limestone (pH adjustment)
- Perlite
- Mycorse - endomycorrhizae inoculent

Apparently this soil is so-pose to be used for vegetables.

I bought "Organic Calcium Essentials" plant fertilizers yesterday and using it when I transplanted them.

I also use "All Purpose Fertilizer" 20-20-20. I usually give these to my plants every 15 days when watered.

But again I just got these 5 days ago from the store and they looked twice as healthy there than here.

Right now I cannot think of anything too add, so please ask anything, I really want these to live.

Please help me out what's wrong with them!

Thanks!

Edit: yeah.. forgot to add what's wrong... they are getting yellow/brown crispy tips.

Meatburner

Souseiki, what zone are you in that you are growing cucumber seedlings this time of year? That would be real helpful to know to get meaningful responses. Tks and welcome to the forum!

imafan26
Mod

They were just transplanted and you broke some roots so they may need a little time to recover. They recovered from the wilting and that is a good sign.

What is the indoor temp? Cucumbers do like warm temperatures. You might try leaving the light on for 16 hours a day. I think you are ok with watering. Miracle grow potting soil contains slow release fertilizer so I don't think you need to fertilize all that often.

Souseiki
Newly Registered

Meatburner wrote:Souseiki, what zone are you in that you are growing cucumber seedlings this time of year? That would be real helpful to know to get meaningful responses. Tks and welcome to the forum!
Thanks so much for responding!

Okay, from what I seen, I think I'm in zone 4a using https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-on ... ss-map.php living in thunderbay ontario.

Souseiki
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:They were just transplanted and you broke some roots so they may need a little time to recover. They recovered from the wilting and that is a good sign.

What is the indoor temp? Cucumbers do like warm temperatures. You might try leaving the light on for 16 hours a day. I think you are ok with watering. Miracle grow potting soil contains slow release fertilizer so I don't think you need to fertilize all that often.
Hey! thanks for responding.

I actualy changed the soil today, as mentioned from first post.

I will try leaving them into the light longer and seeing how they do.

Average temp is about 20-25'C/ 70-75F

Meatburner

Souseiki, now I am really confused with you being in zone 4 in Canada. I do not understand how you can be growing transplants now and get a harvest of cucumbers in your zone. Are you growing them out in a greenhouse? Help me out here friend.

Souseiki
Newly Registered

Meatburner wrote:Souseiki, now I am really confused with you being in zone 4 in Canada. I do not understand how you can be growing transplants now and get a harvest of cucumbers in your zone. Are you growing them out in a greenhouse? Help me out here friend.
Hmmm, thinking here.... I never really looked at zones until right now, as I just started growing 3 month ago, and trying to cram information into my head.

Thinking about the time frame of these cucumber seedlings and the time it'l take to produce fruit, might be a little late. So, I'm not sure what to say. except we'll see how these turn out.

Edit: I am growing these indoors, so it won't be outside in the frost while actually trying to produce fruit.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”