RogueRose
Green Thumb

Re: I'm over summer already!

amylong wrote:I know how you feel Rose. I rather take the heat than the humidity. I can't stand the heavy and stickyness. I am more of a spring person, but I didn't feel much of a spring this year:(
We had a real nice long spring....I was hoping it wouldn't get like this. Maybe we'll get an early fall? ::wistful thinking::

I am now doing most of my gardening in the heat of the day bc I don't want to get eaten alive by skeeters. I could either deal w/ the heat....or deal with mosquitos. I chose heat. I am not quite sure gardening is worth having to deal with summer!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

RogueRose wrote:
amylong wrote:I know how you feel Rose. I rather take the heat than the humidity. I can't stand the heavy and stickyness. I am more of a spring person, but I didn't feel much of a spring this year:(
We had a real nice long spring....I was hoping it wouldn't get like this. Maybe we'll get an early fall? ::wistful thinking::

I am now doing most of my gardening in the heat of the day bc I don't want to get eaten alive by skeeters. I could either deal w/ the heat....or deal with mosquitos. I chose heat. I am not quite sure gardening is worth having to deal with summer!

Every summer I say the same thing. I have the same problem with mosquitoes. If I weed early in the a.m. or near sunset, I get eaten alive by the little buggers. If I weed in the heat of the day, it just drains me, literally.

Next summer I may just settle for some pepper plants, okra and cucumbers and load the rest of the garden with stable waste and grass clippings to be turned over in the early fall.

erins327

Hello Austinite jnunez918 friend!

Well this week has been bitter sweet with a little rain everyday and a high of 90 in the last 3 days, that is quite a welcomed relief!!

In just these 3 days so far my tomatoes have resprouted a million little toms, my okra grew a foot, the basil bushed out, and my peppers don't look like they are on their last leg. Ohhh what could only be if it stayed this way!!

At least it gives me peace of mind that its not me doing something wrong, or something 'missing' in the soil, its just.....heat. Which I cant control!
#foodisfreeyall

imafan26
Mod

It's been hot for sure, but the humidity has been down, unfortunately it means the plants need to be watered sometimes twice a day. It has stayed under 90 degrees and the trades have been turned on, so it is actually good gardening weather as long as I remember my sunscreen. The really hot weather does not begin until Aug and September. Then I might be spending more time in air conditioned shopping malls than in the garden.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Next summer I may just settle for some pepper plants, okra and cucumbers
That's exactly what I did this summer. It's the first summer I'm taking off because it's just not worth the endless and hopeless uphill battle with the pests. There hundreds of moths flying around my backyard at night. Plenty of food for bats that's for sure.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

We are finally getting heat with out rain. Now time to fight with my garden :) hazaaaa
Stephen

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”