erins327

I'm over summer already!

Here in Central Texas, I have already grown impatient and am over summer.

My tomatoes and green beans have gone dormant and ugly, and surprisingly even my jalepenos and okra have either not been able to push through the heat, or are barely standing.

I'm already ready for Fall planting or the season of tomato resuscitation!

And to think some of you are just now getting your first tomatoes....ah I envy the cooler summer temps everyone else can experience with an actual summer garden.

When can we start talking about lettuces? and beets? and garlic again? oh my!! :lol: :-() :-() :-()

jnunez918

Hey fellow austinite! I watered the garden this morning and I'm exhausted. My peppers are doing good, ONLY because I have a sun shade over them. It's worth the investment. I've used the same one for 3 summers.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Your thread title was basically my point in the "New Declaration" thread below...HUMID EVENTS. Here in central Alabama we have had rain shower after rain shower after thunderstorm. Everything is WET, soggy, looks bad, plants mushy or brown and dying.

I am a firm believer that tasty fruit needs some dry weather. If the air and soil are too wet, there is a "washed out" taste to the veggies.

Maybe I am not over summer already, but ready for some drying weather.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Same here in New Orleans. I'm so over the summer heat and humidity, but it's not over with us yet, unfortunately. We have at least another 2+ months of this torture. The only thing doing well in my garden now are okra, cucumbers, and yard longs. Even my Jalapeno and Belgian Hot Wax peppers are struggling a bit, but the Ghost Peppers, Habaneros and Cayenne peppers are thriving. My eggplants are still making fruit, but they are slowing down a bit. My tomatoes are long gone, as are the squash that succumbed to SVB's once again.

Fall is the time of year I like to garden most with the cooler temperatures, fewer bugs and less diseases to deal with. I can grow tomatoes with little to no pest or disease concerns, leafy greens grow in abundance, onions and garlic thrive and I can work in the garden for hours on end if I want to without breaking much of a sweat. What's not to like.

Count me in on the "tired of summer crowd."

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

We have the opposite problem here in Alberta. It has been cold and rainy for over a month and my garden has only really grown strong 4-5 days out of the last 30. :(

Send a portion of your heat north. Cool off a bit for you and warm up for me.

Here comes the rain again. :(

I just did a video on drip irrigation I have only tested once as I have not had to water yet. :(

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Due to past experience I just have peppers/strawberries growing this time of year. Anything else either drops blossoms or is obliterated by bugs, heat/humidity, and fungus. New tomato seedlings will be started in the first week of September.

imafan26
Mod

It seems like summer is hardly happening yet. It is hot, but it has been a whole lot worse. It has been raining a lot this year. Earlier it put a kink in the garden plans because I started the garden late because the soil was too wet to work. Now we are having summer rain which increases the humidity, but really is stepping up the weeds, that grow out of control with any sign of abundant water. My rain barrel is full again.
For me it is not so much me being over summer but that summer is almost over and I am still behind and literally in the weeds.

amylong
Cool Member

It sort of stopped raining here, but the humidity is horrible..I read that we are expecting a heat wave of 90-100 and I'm like noo...because I think some of my tomato plants are still flowering:(:( Maybe my pepper plant will enjoy the heat wave...:( I am looking forward to trying to grow garlic and lettuce in the fall...:(

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am not sure how well this works but I just read about protecting tomatoes from the heat. Shade cloth increased water and fertilize. Might e worth a try.

Another miserable day here in my garden. The rain stopped for a few hours but still soggy enough that I have mushrooms everywhere. :(

Send a little heat please :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and some think that it rains all the time in Washington.

I hope my leg don't break, walking on the moon......

We could use a little rain.
Eric

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

take some of ours, eric. western north carolina has been keeping double pace with our yearly average. landslides and flooding.

not remotely done with summer happening, myself, rain and all.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'm so over summer too. I hate these 90+deg days and high humidity and heat and sun. My tomatoes are starting to go down hill...slowly but they're declining. I've never been a big fan of heat (heck, my favorite place in the world is Antarctica and if there is some way I could live down there I would - I love visiting!) and this heat/humidity combo is killer. I never remember summer being like this.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

RogueRose wrote:I'm so over summer too. I hate these 90+deg days and high humidity and heat and sun. My tomatoes are starting to go down hill...slowly but they're declining. I've never been a big fan of heat (heck, my favorite place in the world is Antarctica and if there is some way I could live down there I would - I love visiting!) and this heat/humidity combo is killer. I never remember summer being like this.

You guys in the Northeast have a massive High pressure system just planted on top of ya. Seems to happen nearly every time I go to upstate NY this time of year to escape the heat/humidity down where I'm at. Hope you got an A/C unit.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:You guys in the Northeast have a massive High pressure system just planted on top of ya. Seems to happen nearly every time I go to upstate NY this time of year to escape the heat/humidity down where I'm at. Hope you got an A/C unit.
It's awful. I don't have much heat tolerance. My favorite temps are winter temps, but at this point I'd be happy with 80s! My house was built in the 20s so I have window AC. I try not to put it on until I really NEED it - which of course is ALL the time now.

amylong
Cool Member

I know how you feel Rose. I rather take the heat than the humidity. I can't stand the heavy and stickyness. I am more of a spring person, but I didn't feel much of a spring this year:(

RogueRose
Green Thumb

amylong wrote:I know how you feel Rose. I rather take the heat than the humidity. I can't stand the heavy and stickyness. I am more of a spring person, but I didn't feel much of a spring this year:(
We had a real nice long spring....I was hoping it wouldn't get like this. Maybe we'll get an early fall? ::wistful thinking::

I am now doing most of my gardening in the heat of the day bc I don't want to get eaten alive by skeeters. I could either deal w/ the heat....or deal with mosquitos. I chose heat. I am not quite sure gardening is worth having to deal with summer!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

RogueRose wrote:
amylong wrote:I know how you feel Rose. I rather take the heat than the humidity. I can't stand the heavy and stickyness. I am more of a spring person, but I didn't feel much of a spring this year:(
We had a real nice long spring....I was hoping it wouldn't get like this. Maybe we'll get an early fall? ::wistful thinking::

I am now doing most of my gardening in the heat of the day bc I don't want to get eaten alive by skeeters. I could either deal w/ the heat....or deal with mosquitos. I chose heat. I am not quite sure gardening is worth having to deal with summer!

Every summer I say the same thing. I have the same problem with mosquitoes. If I weed early in the a.m. or near sunset, I get eaten alive by the little buggers. If I weed in the heat of the day, it just drains me, literally.

Next summer I may just settle for some pepper plants, okra and cucumbers and load the rest of the garden with stable waste and grass clippings to be turned over in the early fall.

erins327

Hello Austinite jnunez918 friend!

Well this week has been bitter sweet with a little rain everyday and a high of 90 in the last 3 days, that is quite a welcomed relief!!

In just these 3 days so far my tomatoes have resprouted a million little toms, my okra grew a foot, the basil bushed out, and my peppers don't look like they are on their last leg. Ohhh what could only be if it stayed this way!!

At least it gives me peace of mind that its not me doing something wrong, or something 'missing' in the soil, its just.....heat. Which I cant control!

imafan26
Mod

It's been hot for sure, but the humidity has been down, unfortunately it means the plants need to be watered sometimes twice a day. It has stayed under 90 degrees and the trades have been turned on, so it is actually good gardening weather as long as I remember my sunscreen. The really hot weather does not begin until Aug and September. Then I might be spending more time in air conditioned shopping malls than in the garden.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Next summer I may just settle for some pepper plants, okra and cucumbers
That's exactly what I did this summer. It's the first summer I'm taking off because it's just not worth the endless and hopeless uphill battle with the pests. There hundreds of moths flying around my backyard at night. Plenty of food for bats that's for sure.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

We are finally getting heat with out rain. Now time to fight with my garden :) hazaaaa

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”