dtizme
Cool Member

going as cheap as possible within reason/suggestions

Would like to have some input from anyone trying to do the same. As far as containers I just found a bunch of ice cream containers I can get for free. They are 3 gallon and 12 inch depth. As far as needing tags I would go to the grocery store and get a bunch of tags from the candy/veggie section where you have to write the code down for the item you want. As far as soil/compst goes that is where I would like to spend the majority of my money on as it is one of the most important parts to growing. Right now I have a 4 X 8 foot garden and a couple of tomatoes planted off to the side of the garden in the ground. I have 1 squash plant, a bunch of pepper plants and 2 tomato plants in the 4 X 8 garden right now. Everything seems to be going well other than the squash and tomato plants take up alot of space in the 4 X 8 garden overcrowding some of the peppers. I'm thinking next year I might expand to 8 X 8 and get rid of the tomatoes in there as they are taking light from the pepper plants. This year I bought my tomatoes/peppers started and they all seem to be doing well, next year I'm thinking of doing the same next year but getting some carrot seeds to try.

now for the questions.

Will 3 gallon/12 in depth containers be enough for a descent tomato plant or will they be better for different types of veggies? lettuce, radish, etc..
Might also try some carrot/pepper plants in those containers if they will be sufficient.
Any of you use compost tea? I have been using the compost steep tea method for a bit, just bought a bag of compost and I will fill up a sock with compost and let it sit in a 5 gallon bucket for 2 days, stirring occasionally and then water the plants with it, has anyone else used this method?

joed2323

Sorry but no way will 3 gallons be enough.

I went to Walmart and bought these "big" containers they are basically tubs used for putting ice/drinks into. They have rope handles on the side. Plus they are about 5-6 bucks, this is super cheap, cheaper then any large pot containers they sell. I highly recommend using these since they are very deep. I have 6 of these and my tomatoes are loving these tubs.

I've used 5 gallon buckets before but its still not big enough for tomatoes. You are limiting yourself from the start when using small buckets.

Do you have a landfil or community compost site within driving distance? You can usually find very good compost that's "free" all you gotta do is shovel it into a pickup or trailer if you have one.
This route is cheaper then buying bags of compost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree 3 gallon containers aren't big enough. And aren't ice cream containers those cardboard-y ones?

Here's a thread we had before about free/ inexpensive container ideas:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=32338

It mentions checking with grocery store delis. They have food grade plastic containers that stuff is shipped / stored in 1, 5, 10 gallon sizes, that otherwise go to the dumpster.

For free soil amendment, start your own compost pile. It won't benefit you right now, but by next spring you will have home made compost that is the best thing you can do for your garden.

Re the compost "tea" I sometimes make a compost infusion that is similar to what you are talking about, but I only leave it steep, stirring frequently, for 1-2 hrs. Part of what you are trying to do by steeping it, is to start some colonies of beneficial microbes. For this process, it helps to add some molasses to the water, to feed the small critters. But I wouldn't steep it for two days. You risk getting anaerobic bacteria going, which are the stinky, bad kind that can be pathogenic.

If you want to steep it like that, get a little aquarium pump and airstone and keep it aerated. There's a whole big sticky on AACT (aerated, activated compost tea) at the beginning of the compost section.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The soil or container with soil is for the roots of the plants to develop and go in search of water and nutrients for the plant. We see the top growth and have an ides how large the plants get, however what do we know of the size and extent of the roots growth? Pretty hard to see them. If we ever dump out a pot, we can see the whole pot is saturated with roots.

There have been some studies done about roots development, and it is worth our while to spend some time looking at some of the results. When we see how big root systems really get, we might wonder how we can grow anything in a pot? For sure if you have a plot of ground you can use, things will do much better than in pots.

Here is one good one.

jemsister

I think the three gallon ice cream containers are plastic.

I agree, three gallons is not going to be big enough. Do you have any 18 gallon totes lying around (the kind people use for garage storage)? That's where I got my planters--I raided my garage, repacked some things in cardboard boxes, and used the totes for planters (I cut drainage holes in them first, of course). Those would be big enough for a tomato plant.

imafan26
Mod

You can sometimes get food grade containers from bakeries and restaurants fairly cheap. The local restaurant sells 4-5 gallon containers for $2 each (no covers). they are plastic with handles. They last a few years but I use them mainly for weeds and smaller plants, not tomatoes. 55 gallon drums from the bakery they have had either vinegar or oil in the drums cost about $12 each. but can be cut in half and you have two long lasting half-barrels. They are big enough for tomatoes.

I do use the muck buckets (plastic buckets with rope handles) they go on sale here for $8-$11. The 18 gallon capacity is perfect for tomatoes

Rubermaid 18 gallon tubs on sale $5-$6 also work and I converted them into earthboxes for tomatoes. Way cheaper than the $100 commercial earth boxes. I can make an earthbox for less than $10.

Realize that food grade plastic is better than plastic that may have contained fuel, or toxic chemicals especially if you are planting a food crop in them. Plastic does not last a 1000 years in the sun. Food containers are not UV stable so they get brittle over time but are good for 3-5 years.

The best deal on labels are plastic knives I get 500 for $8. The price has gone up, but the labels last a long time, can be reused and doubles as a weeder. Good deal all around. If you want, you can save plastic ware from parties, plate lunches, and at work, to drive the cost down to soap and water to clean them.

SOB
Green Thumb

I went to my local nursery and asked if I could buy some of the containers they sell their trees in (instead of the "fancy" expensive ones they typically sell) and they sold me some black 25 gal containers with drain holes for only $3 a piece. I was ecstatic!!!

As for labels, I only use them when starting seeds but I took some toothpicks that have different colored tops and used those. I made a little chart so I knew what was what. For example Red was one kind of tomato, Red and Blue was another, Green was a bell pepper but Green and Yellow was a different kind, etc. We had a ton of these left over from a party so it didnt cost me anything either.

estorms

I have some tomatoes in pots on my deck. I would guess the pot is about four gallons. I used potting soil with water retention crystals and I water them three times a day. During the heat of the day I use warm water. They are doing well so far, but we will see how many tomatoes I get. I fertilize once a week with Miracle Grow for tomatoes. I planted these in pots as insurance; I have had early blight two years in a row. So far, no blight. Like you, I want to go as cheap as I can. I get my big pots at yard sales. I use the peat pellets for starting seeds, then my plants go in anything that will hold dirt. I will never use yogurt containers again; the top was smaller than the bottom and I had a really hard time getting them out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”