Chud933
Newly Registered

New to Gardening

I was wondering if putting down a wood based mulch would be alright for a vegetable garden. Also what about putting down fabric and then cutting holes where the plants go? Finally if you reccomend black plastic for certain plants which plants do you reccomend it for and how far around the plant should I put the plastic.

Thanks alot and am looking foward to your help.

gb

Hey, welcome! Don't use a wood mulch this late in the year, especially if in the south. It will heat the soil up crazy, so no need for plastic. If you haven't started by now it may be too late unless your in the northern states or canada . Don't get too much wood because you also want loose soil in there...hope that helps!

pixelphoto

I don't like plastic as it sheds water. Try a landscape fabric that will still keep the weeds out but allows the soil and area to breath and allows some water penetration.
Most hardware stores and places like Lowes and Home Depot and even Wal Mart carry the landscape fabric I am speaking of.
I don't like wood mulch because its tough if you choose to till or hoe later in the year in winter when you go to clean out your garden.

TamaraJM

I'm very new as well, but I have heard that wet newspaper works rather well, at least better than black plastic.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Hi guys, and welcome! As it decomposes, wood tends to rob soil of nitrogen, which is fine if you're growing potatoes. Otherwise, I'd stick to good ole compost, shredded leaves, or landscape fabric. Newspapers I'd save for ornamental beds or creating new beds, as not all papers are printed on untreated/unbleached paper, nor are they using a vegetable-based ink, and you don't want that stuff leaching into your food beds. Also fun for edging an ornamental bed or around a small specimen tree are those fancy recycled rubber mats. If you don't have pets, the cocoa ones are good, too! They really inhibit weeds, but let all the water through, and look great! The cocoa ones smell vaguely like chocolate, because that's the plant they're from--hence don't use where pets can get to them because it's poisonous to them. Well-rotted (not so smelly) manure is also good. If you have access to seaweed, go for it, but rinse the salt off first. OK, I know there's no seaweed in CO. If you're a high-altitude gardener, then using black plastic to heat up the soil might be OK, if you're looking to extend the season on either end, but don't leave it on permanently--it'll smother the soil. All the little microorganisms and things need air. Yes, the soil needs to breathe. I wouldn't use plastic in the high desert climate, though.

Happy Gardening.
Wingdesigner

pixelphoto

All newspaper printed in the United States should be using soy based inks and is safe to compost or use as weed barriers in your garden.
Glossy paper, from ads, or magazines is not safe to use.
EPA made the newspapers switch to soy based inks a few years ago.
Even the funny paper which is in color is safe. They wanted to make that one especially because little kids like to read the funnies and then stick their hands ion their mouths so EPA made sure color ink for the comics section was safe as well.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Oooo, good to know. Thanks, pixelp! That's why I like this place. Somebody always knows more than me, and that's verry good. :D

Happy Gardening.

Jess
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't bother with landscape fabric for planting through on a vege patch. You would have to match up your holes to plant the following year or cut new ones. It does have its uses when an area on the veg patch isn't planted especially in the Spring just cover the ground with it a few weeks before planting. It will keep weeds at bay and also warm the soil.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”