parker34

Yellow Squash & Zucchini

Hello all
I have two hills of Yellow Squash that have finally started to grow, now that the sun has come out for more than 2 hours at a time.
My question about the yellow squash is: Do I need to give the yellow Squash something to climb? Will the fruit be small enough that it isn't necessary? I don't mind either way, but if I should give it something to climb, I want to get it in there befor they get too big.

Same question for the Zucchini. Does it need or should it have something to climb? I haven't grown either before, only eaten it.

Also, should compost be placed around the base of the vines/bushes of the yellow squash and Zukes?

Thanks in advance!

Parker

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Squash does not need anything to climb on. If your getting too much rain like most places seem to be you might have trouble with rotten squash laying in the mud.

I use to plant in hills like my Grandparents did but not anymore. I plant in rows seeds 3 feet apart. It works much better.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

No stakes or cages needed, just space. Seems that squash seeks walking areas, paths, anything to get in the way. And, those walkways produce the best squash. It may be that the walkways is where my squash finds sunlight.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Doesn't need to have trellis, but it can climb trellis and grow vertically, so that it doesn't take up so much space.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”