RogueRose
Green Thumb

Dinner From the Garden

Boy it's a good feeling when 100% of your dinner comes from your garden! The only thing here pictured that is not a product of my backyard is the cheese on the salad:

It's good to know my hard work is paid off, the footprint is only the ones between the door and the plot, there's no chemicals involved, and I know exactly what went into this food from seed to fruit. :D

applestar
Mod

Very nice!

Mine wasnt 100% but I had a left over ham joint so I made ham and bean soup. 5 kinds of previously harvested mixed dried beans, soaked and added after simmering down blanched/frozen mixed greens (mustard, kale, dandelion) from earlier this year, blanched/feozen broccoli and cauliflower leaves from a couple of weeks ago, last of the frozen celery and mixed sweet snd hot peppers from last year (making room in the freezer for this year), and newly harvested onions and garlic. Also featured were fresh oregano and thyme.

I also added three more store bought dried or frozen beans -- so the soup contained black eyed peas, purple podded pole beans, zipper cream, purple hulled pink eye, runner beans, chick peas, Christmas Lima beans, and adzuki.

I used cumin in this dish. I like cumin and bought seeds and tried to start them earlier during the seed starting season, but they didn't germinate. I'll have to try again next year.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

That's what I'm talking about. A satisfying meal knowing the resources, effort and love that went into each bite. Last night we had green beans, fried squash, sliced tomato and corn on the cob... Neat thing is that at some point I held in my hand the seed the produced the meal. Furthermore, the bean and Brandywine tomato seed were saved from previous years.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

That is the main reason I plant a garden I love all garden lunch and dinner sometimes even breakfast. I made a pot of chili for dinner yesterday every thing in the chili was from the garden except the meat. Day before that corn on the cob, squash, tomatoes, home made baked bread, water melon for dinner. Garden vegs for every meal is great.

I had water melon for breakfast this morning. That does not seem like much food value but I do ok with it so far.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Everyone's meal sounds great! We should have a sticky maybe where we have pictures of meals from our garden.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful. My little garden, I rarely have a meal that is 100% from the garden.

Dinner last night was a big pot of borscht (beet/cabbage/potato soup). Froze half of it for later and still have leftovers for today.

Beets were from my CSA farm share, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, and dill from my garden, onions partly from the garden and partly from the CSA. Only major ingredient that wasn't either CSA or garden was the potatoes, neither my garden nor my CSA has any ready yet.

I love borscht, to me the combination of caraway and dill is just amazing! This came out so good and it is beautiful in the bowl, ruby red from the beets.

My garden cabbage was beautiful, once the outer leaves were off, it was a nice tight head, green on the outside and creamy white inside. Six cups of chopped cabbage was just half the head. And cabbage is another one of those things that is so much more flavorful from your garden than from the store.

applestar
Mod

We ate the Terhune tomato today. It was beautifully ripe. It weighed one pound and at least 4" diameter, maybe more.

I would have taken a photo of it on the kitchen scale as proof, but I had pointed it out to DH and told him he could have it on the hamburger before going upstairs, and when I came downstairs with my cellphone, it was already in slices. I think he didn't trust me to cut it into thick enough slices that he likes. :lol:

So here is a picture of the slices. This is a medium size plate and the onion slice is from a typical giant Vidalia onion 8)
One pound Terhune tomato slices
One pound Terhune tomato slices
We first tried a piece from the stem end, it was delicious! Strong tomato flavor and tangy mouthwatering note that just flooded your taste buds. I talked DH out of his usual generous squirt of ketchup. We both agreed that the tomato was more than enough. It's assertive flavor came through and blended well with the onion, pickles, and the mayo and did not get lost in the kaiser roll. :()

DH's center slice stuck out of the kaiser roll all the way around. I can't remember that Granny's name but she sure would have seen the tomato, even if she couldn't see the beef :>

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

We are not at full meals yet but I am able to get my snacks from the garden !!

Strawberries, lettuce, beet greens, raspberries, carrots and radish. I did have a great picture on my phone of my most recent snack but naturally I moved it to the computer :( making more room to film garden stuff :)

I love this time of year and this thread !! Gives me so many ideas. Although I should stay with the non-cooked things as I have what my wife calls terrible kitchen timing. I burn things :(

I am hungry now... Too bad it's 4 am

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”