Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What is this called?

I have seen people make this before. I have no clue what it is called. If I knew the name I could probably find a recipe online.

I cheated and mixed a bunch of garden vegetables with a jar of Bread and Butter pickles I'm not sure this will work. It contains bell peppers, onions, carrots, plus the pickles and the pickle juice. It was easy enough to make now all I do it wait for a month.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Chow-chow?

End-of-garden pickles?

Either way, since you didn't can it proper, I wouldn't wait a month...couple of weeks, tops...lol...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I looked up Chow Chow recipes they all claim to be green tomato relish.

What I made has no tomatoes. It often has broccoli, green beans, snow peas, other vegetables and most often 1 or 2 HOT chili peppers to make it a little spicy. It typically has the type of vegetables that can be cut into strips or grows long like snow peas and green beans or bit size pieces like broccoli. The peace's are eaten with a fork right out of the jar like pickles or hot peppers.

I have seen this with cauliflower.

I have an idea......I did Google search for pickled vegetables and came up with this. I think I am on the right track now.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Giardiniera, a mixture of pickled vegetables. Hot pepper optional.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sotto Aceti
Giardiniera
Pickled Veggies

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yea. Finally found several recipes and several videos on YouTube. Bought the stuff and made 1 jar yesterday. Wow 1 whole jar...........LOL. Have to start some where. More later.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”