btrowe1

Fish emulsion versus Regular fertilizer?

I started to use fish emulsion along with my usual Jacks Classic and occasional Miracle grow, (jacks is expensive) The garden seems to really like the mix, but I seem to see a bigger grow and greener foliage when using the fish emulsion, It smells like hell and the count is way lower 5/1/1 what do the plants seem to like in that. Is it because its organic chopped up fish????

amazing the difference I am seeing this year. Maybe a combo of the rain and the fertilizers..

imafan26
Mod

Fish emulsion is a complete organic fertilizer. It is mostly nitrogen. It can be used as a foliar feed. I use if my plants don't look very good and I think it may be a nutritional problem. Most plants do love it. I can't use it too often because the neighbors complain about the smell. It is a complete fertilizer so it does have some micro nutrients.

I also use miracle grow, but not as often as I did before. I did a soil test and it turns out all I need to add is nitrogen. I probably have enough other nutrients to last for years. I use it mostly on seedlings now and occasionally on the orchids since, I do not fertilize them regularly.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I recently saw an article, which I can't find right now, that said plants take only what they need from the soil. Thus if the soil is full of concentrated nutrients (like people putting down 20-20-20 fertilizers), it doesn't necessarily make them grow bigger/better. They still take what they need and leave the rest.

And as imafan said, Nitrogen is what is most likely to be missing, because it is the most transient in the soil. So it is often true that mostly what is needed to be added is a good N source. And the fish emulsion is a good one, since it also contains lots of essential trace elements that plants need, like magnesium and calcium and others and valuable beneficial microbial life.

That said, I can't use it because the raccoons and outdoor cats go crazy for it and dig everything up, trying to find the fish.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I use a decent amount of fish, This is Alaska brand. (found at box stores). It is deodorized, 5-1-1, OMRI listed. Green plants love it! I use it mostly for the herbs I need to grow, especially basil, parsley, chives, tarragon, and everything else gets some every 3-4 weeks. For veggies you want flowers then fruit need something with more P & K. I try to hit the new seedlings and starts about 1/wk alternating the fish and Johns (Lady Bug Brand) 3-1.5-2.

Also check the Epsoma brand fertizers that include Garden Tone, Plant Tone, Rose Tone etc. It has low N-P-K, but lots of other goodies and easy to use. It's granular and slow release.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”