lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Friend or Foe?

Got many, many of these little bugs on my green beans and on Princess Feather flowers. Are they friend or foe? They have the look of a small, dark greenish brown lady bug. But there were some adult Japanese beetles on the leaves also.

applestar
Mod

I can't tell what they are, but massed together like that is almost never a good sign.... :shock:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Based on some local blogs from Auburn University Extension folks, sounds like they may be kudzu beetles.

What is a Kudzu bug?
The Kudzu bug is a small yellowish green lady-beetle-like insect. However, they are not a beetle, but a true stink bug with sucking mouths that sip the juice from plants.

They like to aggregate in clusters and release a very strong, foul odor that you can smell several feet away.

Kudzu bugs are also called lablab bugs, bean bugs, globular stink bugs, and bean plataspids.

Are they a new pest and where did they come from?
Yes, the Kudzu bug is a new pest for us in the United States. Many new people are being introduced to it every day. We will all have to learn the best ways to deal with it.

The Kudzu bug is native to Asia. Genetic markers indicate this bug was likely introduced from Japan.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Looks like I had some late night visitors in my corn. Definitely foe....Any suggestions on remedy?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”