imafan26
Mod

what to plant in 18 gallon containers

I have 8-18 gallon containers, and 2 five gallon buckets. I had them as a demonstration project for different types of containers for primarily tomatoes. Some of the containers are standard pots. The buckets are modified self watering containers and about half of the 18 gallon containers are rubber maid tubs that have been made into self watering containers.

They are located in zone 12b. Pearl City, Hawaii. I have been fallowing them for several months now. I have to replace the containers since they have been out in the sun for about 4 years and are very brittle.

I'd like some ideas on what to plant in them this time besides tomatoes.

I had to stop planting tomatoes because of tomato yellow curl virus. I had to keep pulling the tomatoes, so I was just selecting for resistant tomatoes and they don't taste very good at all. Even the birds leave them alone. This is a demonstration garden, there are sweet potato vines nearby and the primary reason why tomatoes are not a good idea, the sweet potato white fly is the carrier of the virus and this is a white fly year.

Other plants already in the area are asparagus, okra, lab lab or hyacinth bean, bitter melon, eggplant, corn, beans, lettuce, bananas, tapioca, guava, saluyot, and spinach substitutes.

I do not want to plant short term plants in the tubs because, I want this to be as low maintenance as possible. All I can think of to plant right now is ginger, possibly taro, onions, cucumber, squash, and jicama.

I want plants that are not already in the garden, but something homeowners would actually use and not be to ethnic specific.

Everyone here would use ginger, and onions. Every one who lives here also know what taro is, although they may not know how to use it. Jicama is used by different ethnic groups here Chinese, Filipino, and Mexican, but is not used by everyone.

The containers are on a raised bench, have drip irrigation, and a 7 foot trellis.

I will actually only check on it weekly or bimonthly, so I don't want anything that needs to be harvested daily. I actually only go there once a week and this is a side project. I take care of the herb garden. So, I want plants that need minimal care and is harvested all at once or is a short lived perennial.

I am demonstrating how homeowners can produce in a limited space. Self-watering containers and drip system to make watering more convenient, selecting plants that are low maintenance for people who probably don't have a lot of time, but can either be harvested continuously or all at once. but I prefer plants that do not require daily harvesting and have a longer time that the product is usable on the plant.
For instance, beans need to be harvested nearly every day or they get too old to eat. Chili peppers can be harvested through many stages and can be harvested almost continually at any time.

This project is in the idea garden. The purpose is to demonstrate different ways people can garden using different types of trellising ideas, low cost and recycled containers, square foot gardens, handicap garden, raised beds. Also different ideas for crop protection, like using newspaper to keep fruit flies from stinging bitter melon, using net row covers to keep out insects and birds, fruit fly traps, intercropping, and demonstrating different types of plants that are commonly and easily grown in most backyards and also growing ethnic foods like the saluyot and taro.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's hard to make suggestions, because your climate is so different. I don't really know what grows well there.

Potatoes?

I would think those containers would be big enough to grow at least dwarf fruit trees - kumquats, pomegranate, oranges, limes, pineapple, papaya, guava....

Watermelon?

Jerusalem artichoke

Berries - blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, etc

Rhubarb

And of course you could grow a whole herb garden in one of those.

applestar
Mod

OK let's see -- Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

- Do you have any tubs without holes punched in them already? You could grow rice.
- I havent grown these myself but want to try -- how about lotus roots or water chestnuts? -- the longer maturity period makes them challenging for me but should be no problem for you
- Is it legal to grow cotton in Hawaii? You could grow different colored fiber cotton -- white, brown, green. They would go well with the okra and tapioca since they look similar but their crops have completely different purposes.
- You could also grow other fibre plants like flax, hemp (well, maybe not hemp), maybe papyrus.... There's a kind of banana that's grown primarily for the fiber but I think they are full sized -- but I suppose you could keep a pup here for demo.
- You could grow a plant dye garden -- do you have that already?
- Different varieties of container gourds... Though bigger ones would do better in bigger containers

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the replies

Papaya will stunt in these tubs and are already growing in the garden. So, is rice. Here the rice needs to be protected from the rice birds. There is already a dwarf fruit tree garden in pots as well as an orchard so I cannot duplicate. The garden already has bananas and here it is not a pot plant. Guavas and passion fruit are considered pest plants so it is not something we would want to encourage homeowners to grow unless they know what they are getting into.

Yes we do have dye plants. Someone is growing indigo and he gives classes on dyeing fabrics. I also have turmeric in the herb garden, it is used for curry, but the Hawaiians used it to make a yellow dye.

I haven't tried potatoes, so that is a thought, it might work. I think it is too late to get seed potatoes now, I saw some earlier in the year. Can I grow them from potatoes that have sprouted in my veggie drawer?

Pineapple will work, if strawberries can grow in full sun that might work too.

What about garlic, can I grow that in tubs? I usually grow it in the ground, I don't know if the self watering tubs will be too wet.

I can grow squash and watermelon. I have done squash before and I have the trellis. I haven't tried watermelon on a trellis, but I can give that a go too. Great idea!

Low chill blueberries are not faring well in the garden. Peaches, apricots and pears can only be grown at elevations of 1000 ft or better. This garden is only 17 feet above sea level.

I have some herbs already growing in styrofoam containers on the ground surrounding the bench as companion plants. I can put some other herbs in the tubs though, I also take care of the herb garden so many of the herbs are already represented and there are also large containers of herbs in the herb garden itself.

The climate here is tropical in Hawaii. I can grow anything from zone 9 up. Zone 8, will only grow in the cooler months. Temp range from the 50's at night in the cooler part of the year to just over 100 degrees around July and August. Normal daytime temperature is 80-88 degrees F. Humidity 80-100%. No frost, rarely freak hail that lasts a few minutes. A bad day here is when it rains. Pests and diseases year round issues, there is no winter die off. Soils are riddled with nematodes, that is why all of my containers are off the ground when I had tomatoes in them.

Jerusalem artichoke sounds like something I could try. I'll have to see if I can get any. I don't think anyone is growing that at the garden.

Lotus needs running water, and the roots will be too big. I would have the same problem with gobo (burdock/salsify), unless I get a trash can to use for one of my new containers. I might try that. I will have to find out how hard it will be to cut the trash can in half.

Rhubarb, elephant garlic or anyting that requires winter chilling will not fruit here.
Japanese maples are annuals.

I can grow winged beans and other Asian vegetables although they require more maintenance than I wold like.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You already have a lot there, so that leans it more towards exotics:

adzuki beans, edamame, yardlong beans, bok choi, chinese cabbage, daikon, chayote, culantro, yucca, plantains

imafan26
Mod

I think more of the Asian and ethnic vegetables might be the way to go.

The goal is to give homeowners ideas on vegetables they can grow in low maintenance containers. It has to be things that most people here know and eat. Most of the people that would choose this type of garden would be working or family members who may not have a lot of yard space. Probably a townhouse or apartment more likely. I had container tomatoes originally because tomatoes and peppers are the most popular edibles people like to grow in containers. People here also complain about not being able to grow large tomatoes well. I try to plant things that are better eaten fresh, uses space efficiently and yields a good amount in succession, easy to grow, something they may use a lot of, and is relatively expensive to buy.

I think I will plant some of these things in the containers. Some will be succession plants.

Hot pepper, tabasco - most popular pepper here
Asian greens- baby bok, choi sum, hon tsai tai, napa cabbage, mesclun when it gets cooler
Azuki beans ( great idea Rainbow)
butternut, kabocha , or upo squash (thanks for the idea Apple)
Okinawan sweet potatoes (thanks Rainbow), they are more popular than potatoes and the leaves are edible.
NZ hot weather spinach- it is perennial, has very few pests and its hard to eat it fast enough to keep up with it.
Wing or lima beans- I don't think there are any planted in the garden. String beans, Yard long, and soy beans are already planted in other garden plots
Pigeon peas - has possibilities, it is a large perennial, and almost tree like. I don't know how well this will play out in a pot
Peanuts
wetland taro (thanks for the idea Apple for wetland plants)
Sugar baby watermelon (Rainbow's idea) I've never trellised watermelon before, so this will be a new idea for me.
Galangal (Thai ginger)- I have Jamaican ginger already in the garden, but no galangal. I have grown it before and it is hard to dig out of the ground so maybe pot culture and digging it out sooner will help.
Everbearing strawberries (Rainbow's suggestion). I would have to inter plant between something else. It does not take summer sun well.
Pineapple or dragon fruit.- Pineapple will take 18 months to fruit, I don't know if it is a practical choice for a home food crop, but some people may just want a pineapple. Dragon fruit is prettier than it tastes

applestar
Mod

Sounds like a good list. I'd love to visit this garden :D
Thanks for crediting -- you are welcome :() but it's Ok with me if you don't. :wink:

One more -- what about luffa? Another plant that I struggle with due to long maturity -- yet to grow successfully. Edible young fruits, scrubbies from mature fruit fiber. I'd love to be able to grow them.

estorms

How about a small tree or bush for bay leaves?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”