madlabs
Newly Registered

Solar fruit/veggie dehydrator

Hi All,

I'm going to build a solar dehydrator in the next few weeks. Poking around I find lots of information and pictures, so I'm looking for some advice from folks who have built and/or used them to see what really works. So any advice, details or designs would be very helpful.

One question off the top, is it better to keep direct sunlight off of the material being dehydrated or is it OK? I was wondering if being in the sun degrades the product to any extent.

Jonathan

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Re: Solar fruit/veggie dehydrator

I have direct solar-dried figs on screens lined with cheese cloth. This was when we lived in Berkeley and received more warmth from the sun than we do at this house (specific house situation). Those dried figs were absolutely terrific!

I had a friend with a fig tree that produced much more than he could deal with alone, but I made jam, dried figs, etc., and was very happy. He, of course, received some of the jam and the dried figs. :)

I never noticed any falling-off of taste or quality in my direct solar-dried figs vs. those I had previously purchased.

A small experience, perhaps, but the only one I can offer.

Good luck!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

madlabs
Newly Registered

Re: Solar fruit/veggie dehydrator

Hey, one data point is better than none!

I'll keep researching as I'd like to build a good one. Any ideas of a place where food preservers hang out? I often find on the old 'net that you just have to find the right group to tap into a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”