JayPoc
Greener Thumb

End rot in yellow squash?

I seem to be having more blossom end rot in yellow squash than normal. Small fruits develop a wet brown funk that extends up away from the blossom end an inch or so. The whole fruit gets squishy. What causes this?

Also, each year I get a handful of harder than normal, "oranger" than normal yellow squash. Anybody know this condition?

jemsister

I had the rotting thing you described on some yellow squash that I tried to grow (ha) a few years ago. I had always assumed it was due to too much water, since that's pretty much what happened to everything I had planted that year (tons of rain, inadequate drainage). I can't say for sure, but that's what happened for me.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

it's the squash equivalent of blossom end rot (BER) with essentially identical cause . . .

weather/temp conditions are such that the plant cannot uptake calcium.
it goes away; all by itself.

lop off any affect fruit if you'd like so the plant can concentrate on making more.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Dillbert is right. My first ones always do that :) cut them off ull get better ones in the second wave

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It likely is BER as people have said. It is a problem squash, tomatoes, bell peppers can get when conditions make it difficult for the plant to uptake/ circulate calcium. It is rarely due to a lack of calcium in the soil. It is not a disease, it is a response to environmental conditions. When the conditions are corrected, the BER will go away (though any fruit already affected will not recover, but new fruit set will be fine). Conditions that can cause it include uneven watering, too cold, too much high nitrogen fertilizer (causes too much leaf growth for the size of the roots, so the roots can't take up enough calcium to support the plant), etc.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

So thats what I figured about the end rot...anybody ever seen the hard, orange condition?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”