ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

One cucumber or two?

So this year I am doing an experiment. I am attempting to grow caged cucumbers in a 5 gallon pot. I know people who grow them in cages and people who cage them so this year I am trying it. I know it is kinda late to be planting summer veggies but I have such a long growing season it doesn't matter. Anyway the transplant I bought has 2 plants in it. They are both the same size and look very healthy. Do you think I should clip one or not? I am leaning towards leaving it but what do you guys think? Thanks!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My inclination would be to leave both plants. Cucumbers are often grown in 'hills' of three or four plants. The five gallon bucket may be somewhat limiting, but if the vines show signs of stress, you can always clip them back so that excess growth doesn't over tax the system. Also, you may want to consider a half day, morning sun only location, as the afternoon sun is pretty tough on cucumber plants even when planted in the ground.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cucumbers love warm weather and come on quickly. I would plant both. Good luck.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am going to try 2 in 1 sq foot. they have room to root under and around no problem. I have some neat obelisk I picked up on sale. should be interesting!

Id leave two ;) good luck!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

All of your guys reasoning were mine too. I think they will do good in their current location but if they need it I will move it to a less sunny location.

Alex how would u recommend pruning them? I have never seen someone prune cucumbers before.

Thank you guys for your help. I will post pictures later!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Cucumbers take lots of water and are not overly suited for container culture. Obviously, the longer the vines, the greater the demand for moisture. I would only prune the tip growth to shorten the vines if the plants are obviously suffering from water related stress. If they appear to be growing fine and not wilting too much during the heat of the day, then they should be fine. Trimming the tips of the vines will not hurt anything, though may impact the amount of cucumbers produced. But if the vines are suffering, that as well will impact both the quantity and quality of your harvest. All I'm saying is that smaller, more compact vines may perform better when growing in a five gallon container, but just 'play it by ear.'

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I agree that cucumbers are not the best plant for containers especially such a small one but like I said I am experimenting. Next year, depending in how this year goes, I will probably go with at least a 15 gallon.

imafan26
Mod

I found no matter what I plant, a 20 inch pot is the best container to use. I do have some plants mostly peppers and onions in 1 and 2 gallon pots, but they need to be watered sometimes twice a day. The larger pots hold more plants have lots of room for roots and plants wilt less because it can retain the moisture better.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Click Here

As you will quickly see growing a cucumber in a pot really handicaps its root system. Got any ground?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I am not expecting to get the amount that I would get in the ground. I don't have any room in the ground for veggies. Everything are in containers. We will see how they do. If they don't do well I wont plant them next year.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Good luck! Keep the, watered and fertilized. I use a light organic fertilizer for my potted plants it works very well to make up for the root issues

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I cant wait now for my cucumbers :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”