NickR7
Newly Registered

Pumpkins under attack

Well I noticed these guys a couple weeks ago actually, but I thought they were assassin bugs.

However, it came to my attention today that they are actually squash bugs and they're eating my pumpkins alive. I've mixed garlic, plain soap, mineral oil and water in a spray bottle and killed maybe 7 bugs this evening, and crushed maybe 50 eggs.

They really drop dead when I spray this junk on them.

Hopefully I caught this early enough, but it looks like they've already caused a lot of damage at the base of all of my vines.

They were hiding this evening but they were out in force in the heat of the day this afternoon. I will make a visit tomorrow once it heats up and get rid of these guys.
Attachments
Optimized-squashbug2.jpg
Optimized-squashbug2.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Optimized-squashbug1.jpg
Optimized-squashbug1.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 628 times

joed2323

Stay on top of them constantly. Last year the Colorado potatoe battle tried to kill my plants. It was a battle all the way till the end of harvest. Make sure you smash the eggs, they like to put then under the leaves.

Neem oil works good also.

NickR7
Newly Registered

Is it possible that the hole I am pointing at in the picture is squash vine borer?

I think it might be so. In that case I can probably kiss these pumpkins goodbye, because they've probably been there long enough to hollow out the main stems.

applestar
Mod

Yes. I'm afraid the stem damage is a classic SVB (squash vine borer) sign. I guess seeing the squash bugs gave you a false indication and kept you from realizing the 2nd threat.

Some people manage to slit the stem and fish the larvae out with bent wire, but I've never been able to manage. You can also try injecting the site, but I haven't been successful with that either. :?

NickR7
Newly Registered

Yep it was squash vine borer alright. That plant I was pointing at is already in the wilting stage so it's done. There were maybe 6 or 7 large white larvae boring around in there.

All of my other pumpkins were heavily infested too, though the larvae were not as well developed. I think one plant has a 25/75 chance the others are probably toast. One of these things is probably more than enough to kill a plant so if I missed one then oh well. I saw an adult too, but it got away.

I do have watermelon coming up as a backup though. Is watermelon as hard to grow as pumpkins? Seems like you've got to keep a real close eye on pumpkins and baby them every step or any number of threats will overcome it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”