MikeFIT

Motion Detecing Video Camera for Garden

Any advice on video cameras with night vision that I can set up that is triggered by motion to record movement around the garden. I know I have deer, coyotes, raccoons, and rabbits, but I am curious to see who else is sneaking around out near my plants.

I know I could stream a webcam, but I'd like something that records activity rather than trying to watch hours of streaming video.
Thanks

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

a trail camera for hunting will take photos in night vision. it is triggered by motion and typically wont scare them off. unless that is what you want ;)

There are some models I have seen at Bass Pro Shop that do video however they do cost a fair bit.

Good luck and if you get some good footage make sure to post it!

imafan26
Mod

There is a motion camera installed at one of the gardens where I volunteer because of repeated thefts. It was an infrared camera that was motion controlled.

There were some problems with it.

1. The motion sensor turned the camera on when the leaves of the larger plants were rustled by the wind

2. Thieves in the garden could only be seen as shadows because even infrared cameras need a decent light source.

3. The cameras are wireless, but need to be moved frequently, the thieves see the cameras and learn to avoid them and the garden was afraid the thieves would steal the cameras. One thief put a shirt over one of the wired cameras to hide their activities.

4. The cameras record on a loop. If the camera is not checked frequently enough the loop erases over the data.

What has been done to correct some of the issues.

1. The camera feed needed to be reviewed more often.

2. Additional lighting was installed in the garden including additional motion sensor lights so if someone is in the garden at night, the camera has a better chance of seeing more than shadows.

3. The remote cameras are moved frequently.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”