jemsister

Summer lettuce and shade...

I have a spot in my yard that gets mostly shade. It gets four to maybe six hours of morning sun, and the rest of the day it's all shade. Summers here don't get much hotter than 85, but occasionally we might see a 90 or 91 degree day. With the morning sun/afternoon-evening shade, is it possible to successfully grow lettuce all summer long? Or should I nix that idea? It'd sure be nice to have homegrown salad all summer long....

I've never grown lettuce before, so any words of wisdom on the subject are welcome. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Summer lettuce and shade...

If it is really six hours, that's not mostly shade, that's almost full sun. I grow tomatoes in that (since I have very little truly full sun hours).

If it is four hours, you could give summer lettuce a try and see what happens. My guess would be that the lettuce will grow, but will not last very long - will bolt pretty quickly. But every garden is different. It will help if you look for heat tolerant lettuce varieties like buttercrunch, red romaine, simpson.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you can get it to germinate, you can grow lettuce all summer in those conditions. Have fun!

A technique to get summer seeds to germinate is to lay a board over the row for 3 days. This holds the moisture. That is the problem with trying to germinate seed in warm weather, it can't be very deep and the soil dries on top very quickly. Also, you might pre-sprout them then plant. In either case, keeping the ground damp till the roots get down a couple of inches is important.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

jemsister

Hmm... well, I was calculating from sun up until noon, but then I realized that I didn't take into consideration the fence and the neighbor's house. So I'm willing to bet it's actually more like four. It would certainly be more like four or even less up towards the northeastern end of the house rather than southeastern. So maybe that would be the place to do it. Hmm...

Thanks for the tip about the boards and the soil moisture! I never would have thought of that.

imafan26
Mod

I can grow lettuce and I have those kinds of temps. Pick your lettuce. Red lettuce does better in summer than green and loose leaf lettuce does better than anything that tries to form a head.

We have locally developed seed manoa lettuce (a type of bib), variety anuenue is more heat tolerant.

Look for heat tolerant lettuce seeds, but expect that they will bolt earlier than normal and you may have to do more midday misting just to keep the temps down a bit.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And remember james gardens at 5000 feet in a climate where there can be frost almost any month of the year. What works for him, doesn't always work for the rest of us. But definitely give it a try in a shady spot.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”