denemante

time of day sun hits the plants?

Hey all - I just realized a tree grew from last year and is shading my veggie garden until about 11AM. Direct sun still hits it though from about 11AM-7PM.

I've heard morning sun is good, and hot afternoon sun is rough on some plants. Thus, shade would be better later in the day vs. AM?

Regardless, do plants adjust and just think that 11AM is sunrise? Or do they somehow consume or "feel" the daytime light even in semi-shade - so my shade cycle could screw something up?

beks467

Re: time of day sun hits the plants?

You get plenty of sun, and to answer your question I believe your plants know what's going on.. I don't think the tree and it's shade has altered their rhythm. I could be wrong (duh). My vegetable garden has always been that way. I have a large tree that also shades my garden in the morning. It's not ideal because they can't photosynthesize as well in the morning due to the filtering of light, but thankfully in the afternoon there's no obstruction so they get all the light they need. I haven't had any problems this year or last year. Everything bloomed and matured on time. I also live in Arkansas. It's stinkin' hot here and the afternoons are rough.
ALSO! Mid-day sun is the best sun, so shade in the late afternoon vs. morning is a toss up for me (As in I'm not sure). As long as you're getting mid-day sun you're golden. (It sort of has to do with the amount of reds and blues in the sunlight spectrum. It varies throughout the day (mid-day is best). Red and blue for blooms and blue for growth.) (I might be over answering the question a tad.)

Sasha
Cool Member

Regardless, do plants adjust and just think that 11AM is sunrise? Or do they somehow consume or "feel" the daytime light even in semi-shade - so my shade cycle could screw something up?
No to the first bit: plants "perceive" light via a photoreceptor called phytochrome, and use this mechanism to tell day from night. Phytochrome is sensitive to light levels well below full sun - it's been a long time since my undergrad bio classes, but I think they phytochrome can perceive light levels associated with sunrise and sunset.

imafan26
Mod

Mornings are usually cooler and afternoons hotter. The plants do know what time of day it is no matter if the tree is in front of it or not. As long as the plants are acclimated and have enough light to grow and produce they will do fine.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”