Sasha
Cool Member

I got an allotment! What to Plant in June?

Better late than never, I just reached the top of the waiting list for a plot in my neighbourhood community garden. It's a bit late for planting, especially given the short season here. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some good crops that could be started in mid-June, and either survive early frosts or be harvest ready by late September (our first frost date is September 23, though falls have been warm recently). I'm thinking carrots, beets, chard and beans. I'm assuming I can grow these from seed. Am I nuts? Any other suggestions?

The plot gets full sun, btw.

pfong001

Zucchini. Once it warms up zucchini takes off! You can start from seed. Cucumbers are also quick.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cucumbers for sure.
Corn
Radish
Spinach
bush beans
A short season tomato would work if you can find a started plant.

Sasha
Cool Member

Hah, I have two zucchinis on my balcony already and don't want to alienate my friends. I'll try to pick up a cuke or two though - good idea. I bought some spinach seeds this evening but will probably sow them as a fall crop.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Winter squashes? By my count you have 103 days to frost. I've seen Kabocha, butternut, and pumpkin varieties listed at 90-100 days. Can you buy plants at your local garden center?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Throw some Basil into the mix too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely beans. Chard is great. Radishes if you like them. Turnips.

applestar
Mod

You might also try Brussels sprouts, rutabagas/Swedes, carrots, and winter harvesting daikon radish.
If your summer is cool enough, you may be able to start broccoli and cabbage for fall harvest.

Dill....

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Are Beets doable in the summer? I have a bed that is free now and debating if I should put bush beans or beets. I have daikon too but figure it'd be too hot.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”