Jardin du Fort

New garden started

Well, I finally had to do it. I'm still working on the fence replacement project. The yard has been overcome with weeds that have to be pulled or trimmed. I'm working 50+ hours a week. BUT I managed to dig up a small (4'x4') portion of the "yard" and replant the five tomatoes two peppers and three herbs that I had bought from the CSA a couple weeks ago.

I did not do it right. I didn't have the time. I merely spaded up the sod (no double digging!), shook out the dirt and tossed the grass and roots aside (no compost pile yet!), raked in a bag of composted manure and a bag of mushroom compost (no, not even a soil test yet!), and then put the plants into the soil. No fence (yet) no edging (yet) but at least the plants are out of the pots. And then there are the seeds that need to be planted NOW (not going to happen this week!) which will require additional garden space.

Pictures to follow. (When I get a round tuit). :roll:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, it is a start.

If I remember right, that fence is a pretty important addition - or, replacement. It may have to take a higher priority than a bigger garden. And, working? It gets real difficult to take on much off the job.

There is something about being forced into providing for plants that you have. Given no choice but take care of them or watch them go under . . . In 2014, Jardin du Fort, should have more plants :) !

Steve

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Jardin du Fort wrote:Well, I finally had to do it. ...

I did not do it right. I didn't have the time. ...

Pictures to follow. (When I get a round tuit).
You'll notice that I haven't been talking about what's in my garden this year, either. There's a distinct lack of those round tuits this year, I've noticed. :o

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

Yeah, if nothing else, get a roll of fence, unroll to surround the bed (leave the excess rolled up at the end -- you can just stick a post through the middle of the roll), pound in a few stakes or metal posts to support and zip tie.

It might not be pretty, but animals don't care what it looks like.
...birds either -- I have to get my blueberries covered with a netting that needs all the holes patched :roll:

Good luck. Even a tiny garden brings joy. :D

(Cynthia, I hope you'll get your chance to grow a few things too)

imafan26
Mod

I think a lot of people are behind. It is so easy to do if life gets in the way of getting things done. It was also a slow start since the year started with so much rain that the garden could not be worked anyway. Then when the rain finally stopped all the weeds had to be dealt with, actually still dealing with that. But, I think we all wish we had more time to do the things we love.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I'm feeling considerably behind in yard work too, what with a slow start to spring and general busy-ness.

But re "4'x4' portion of the "yard" and replant the five tomatoes two peppers and three herbs ' That sounds like considerably too many plants for the space (and I like to crowd things). Depending on what the herbs are, you could probably keep the peppers and the herbs, but find a different spot for at least two, probably three of the tomato plants (large containers?).

Or hurry up and dig another 4x4. 8x4 is a very common bed size. 4x4 is tiny.

Better to have two tomato plants that do well (I got bushels of tomatoes from the two plants in my front lawn plot last year) than a whole plot full of stuff that does nothing because it is too crowded.

Have you seen how big tomato plants get? :shock:

Jardin du Fort

Rainbow,

I agree that 4 x 4 is too small for what's there. At this point it is a step of desperation to get the plants in ground. They were in 4" pots and getting root-bound. My schedule this week is killer, and I only had time for this beginner move. Hopefully next week, after an extended family sojourn involving ashes, I will have time to expand the plot and not only develop these characters, but include a few more.

On that note, all 5 tomatoes are indeterminate, and I hope to train them vertically with a minimum of side shoots. Still, 20" is too close for comfort. I know the marjoram will likely not be a problem with the nightshade family, but I'm not sure about the basil or chives. I know that those nightshades can be particular who their family gets involves with. :)

Jardin du Fort

Thought it might be about time for an update.

My 4 x 4 garden is still as it started, although the plants have grown significantly. I've gotten several tomatoes and a couple peppers off those plants. Many more tomatoes on the way, don't know yet about more peppers.

I haven't had time to enlarge the garden. To tell the truth, I'm not even sure I want to at this point. As I shared in another post today, the produce from the garden is not being utilized for the most part. I pick it when it gets ripe, and it sits on the counter until it spoils. I think we have eaten three tomatoes out of the dozen or so that could have been.

If I was home and doing the cooking, this would not be the case. As it is, I am gone 10+ hours a day, and when I get home I'm tired, but still have work that HAS to be done. So I don't have time to do the cooking. and my wife, although she appreciates fresh garden produce, doesn't have a clue on what to do with it. It is way too frustrating. and I better stop talking about it before I get myself even more depressed. It is what it is. :cry:

imafan26
Mod

Been there. Sometimes there are a lot of things to harvest in the garden and sometimes not. If it is left on the vine too long, it isn't good for the vine or to eat for that matter. It can be feast or famine.

I can get 8 or more chayote at one time, I usually only need three and it does not keep, so it is use it, give it away or compost. I get 6-12 eggplant every 10 days or so, I'm running out of ideas what to do with them. But I know at the end of the year there won't be any. Then there is the missing thing I need and don't have.
I could really use some cilantro right now to go with the peppers, onions and tomatoes. in my fajitas or oxtail soup.

I just tossed some mango out today that I just did not get to and some limp eggplant that was given to me. I have a couple of beets I picked yesterday and I will have to cook that soon, but I don't have the energy to do it.

But, it is worth it and I do have some things that I can get continual harvest from that don't get over ripe so easily. I have lemons, a few tomatoes, herbs (rosemary, mint, basil, sage, thyme, bay leaves, lemon grass, chili pepper, and marjoram, Indian curry tree, and kaffir limes), kale, ginger, and green onions. And they do taste so much better fresh. I have to clean the weeds and bait for slugs before I can plant the cucumber, cutting celery, pot up the stevia and I am still waiting for the cilantro to sprout.

applestar
Mod

I replied to your other post. Don't let the situation put out your enthusiasm for your garden. If its your hobby, own it, enjoy it, and perfect your skills and techniques at it.

Sense of fulfillment will come one way or another, and sometimes, you have to work at it to find the "angle". For me, it is in the pursuit of identifying the truly tasty varieties -- DH and kids are willing to join me and participate in the taste comparisons, then they continue to snub the varieties they deem "unworthy" LOL

Speaking of frozen entrees and fast foods, the other day, DH went out to buy a new lawnmower and came home with bags of fast food burgers and French fries and soda. For whatever reason he wanted to eat them and got enough for the whole family. It was REALLY amusing to see that he ordered them "WITHOUT TOMATOES" so we could put what we call REAL tomatoes on these sandwiches. :twisted:

I'm looking out the window at my garden thinking if I clear the bed where some of the tomato vines that have finished producing, I could plant some fall harvesting crops. The list of possibilities dwindle as time passes -- I could have done this 5 days ago. Knowing and doing are different. But what really makes the difference is TRYING and NOT TRYING.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is a shame to let fresh grown veggies, ESPECIALLY tomatoes, go to waste. Perhaps it would help your wife if you gave her a list of suggestions/ recipes to help her get started knowing what to do with them? Although for tomatoes the list would include basics like slice them on to sandwiches and chop in to salads.

Or take a bit of it on as your relaxing thing to do when you get home from a long day at work. I got home after six last night and made lasagna, with tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, herbs from the garden. Since lasagna is very time consuming to make, assemble, bake, it will be dinner tonight. It will just need to be warmed up again. If you did a bit of the cooking, it would probably inspire your wife. She might be glad to work along with you and learn and get more confident with being able to do it on her own.

Jardin du Fort

It was time to put this year's garden to bed. We get a hard freeze tonight, and I'm not doing any sheltering this year. Tomatoes and peppers are done. I dug up the chives, marjoram, and oregano, put them in pots and brought them inside for the winter.

I'll seriously consider a slightly larger garden next year, and hopefully pick some veggies that will be hopefully more "menu worthy" around here. I'm thinking zucchini, spinach, chard, and maybe sweet potatoes. My wife can't eat crunchy veggies, aka salad, so carrots, corn, and probably even lettuce are out.

Of the five varieties of tomato I tried this year (Brandywine, Lemon Boy, Estiva, Super Marzano, and Speckled Roman) the only one I might not use again is the Brandywine. It was disappointingly small, more along the size of the Estiva. Perhaps more water could have helped.

I had two pepper varieties (I'm sure I did!) but only one produced two peppers. That was the Flavor Burst. I'm going to try to save some seeds to grow it again next year. I have no idea what the other one was.

Things in general are quite busy around here with more gotta-do projects than I can handle. The wife just finished chemo after a lumpectomy and is doing well, but that whole process takes time and effort.

I'll be checking back from time to time, but don't expect to be a "regular" around here until hopefully next spring.

Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement!

:D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hope your wife is OK!!! Caring for her health takes precedence over gardening every time.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That's right!

Thank you for getting back to us about the Jardin du Fort! It is good to know about your season.

I was a caregiver for a number of years for a chronically ill wife. Now, she takes care of me :) . And, that shows you a little about the miracle of modern medicine and organ transplants.

Gardening (gardening books and seed catalogs :wink: ) was one of the ways for us to get thru some difficult times. "Imagine growing this!" "Oh, doesn't that look like it would taste good?!" "We should get those next time." "Spring is almost here."

Everyone needs care sometimes. It is an honor to be able to provide some of it.

Steve

Jardin du Fort

Thanks Rainbow and Steve. Although I can't quite say yet that all is well, it is almost so. She had a 1 cm. tumor in the breast that was removed along with the sentinel node lymph gland, which had no cancer in it. After 21 days of radiation treatment, things are returning to normal, or at least the "new normal" whatever that is. She has a couple of long term medications that are supposed to reduce the risk of recurrence. It's the other side effects that get you.

I'll be tearing out the last 50 feet of the old fence soon, and hope the Virginia Creeper doesn't get me again! I've been bit twice now, and don't want to repeat. I just have to figure out how to replace one fence post that's smack dab in the middle of tree roots of the 2'+ diameter tree just on the neighbor's side of the fence...... TNT? :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”