Well, I finally had to do it. I'm still working on the fence replacement project. The yard has been overcome with weeds that have to be pulled or trimmed. I'm working 50+ hours a week. BUT I managed to dig up a small (4'x4') portion of the "yard" and replant the five tomatoes two peppers and three herbs that I had bought from the CSA a couple weeks ago.
I did not do it right. I didn't have the time. I merely spaded up the sod (no double digging!), shook out the dirt and tossed the grass and roots aside (no compost pile yet!), raked in a bag of composted manure and a bag of mushroom compost (no, not even a soil test yet!), and then put the plants into the soil. No fence (yet) no edging (yet) but at least the plants are out of the pots. And then there are the seeds that need to be planted NOW (not going to happen this week!) which will require additional garden space.
Pictures to follow. (When I get a round tuit).