RogueRose
Green Thumb

Rain rain, go away!

We've had sooooo much rain for the last week. Not sure if it's a good thing or not. This past Thursday night into alllll day Friday we got the remnants of Andrea. It was sunny over the weekend. Then today it's been torrential downpour all day and it's supposed to be rainy tomorrow too with a break on Wednesday and then rain again Thursday and Friday. I am amazed my garden hasn't drowned yet but I do have good drainage. There's flooding everywhere - road closures, trees falling down. Slightly worried about "over watering" damage but so far everything seems to be okay. Some of my corn stalks have fallen over but that's the only damage I can see. I've staked what I can.

I own a horse and work with horses and all this rain has made our hay crop pretty much junk. Some folks got it up before the rain but most didn't. Our farm's hay crop hasn't been cut yet so it's gotten too long and probably already gone to seed so it's going to be a bum year for hay.

applestar
Mod

What a difference from last year when we had drought at this critical time in the growing season!
My garden is loving it. :D

Today, EVERY time I went outside to do something, the skies opened up and downpoured. I told the kids I can make it rain. :lol:

My two rain gardens and the two deep loops in my new spiral garden are saturated and the water isn't going down -- in fact the water level has gone up after today's rains. I had to go out between the raindrops and get some feeder goldfish. On the way home, there was a demarcation -- a line where dry road suddenly turned to wet road and it poured all the way home and continued while I distributed the mosquito patrol. :roll:

P.S. Petsmart is having a fish sale until the 16th -- feeder goldfish are 10¢ each and mollies and guppies as well as some others are only $1 each. I got a raincheck for the out of stock albino Cory catfish so I can get some next week.

applestar
Mod

I just read that bit about the hay. I SO wish I lived closer (folks from out west, etc are probably laughing -- tiny NJ state sense of far probably isn't to them....) I keep wanting SPOILED hay for my garden but I don't know how to look for them around here....

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I'd say so far my garden is loving it....I swear every time I go out the tomatoes have gotten another foot taller. Already almost too big for their cages. I got stuff for them for when they outgrow though. The potatoes are loving it too. Really wish the peppers would get bigger but I think it's just not hot enough for them. Corn is getting big too.

For mulch hay try posting on here: https://nj-horse.com/modules.php?name=Fo ... forum&f=19 Just post you want Mulch Hay and what county/town you're in. I already know there's a LOT of it.

mattie g
Green Thumb

RogueRose wrote:I'd say so far my garden is loving it....I swear every time I go out the tomatoes have gotten another foot taller. Already almost too big for their cages. I got stuff for them for when they outgrow though. The potatoes are loving it too. Really wish the peppers would get bigger but I think it's just not hot enough for them. Corn is getting big too.
I'm having similar issues. That, plus some of those really cool days in May have conspired to stunt my peppers pretty badly.

Tomatoes are starting to come good though. I'll have a much later harvest than I'm used to, but at least it's something! And the peas have been holding on...

mmmfloorpie

After a couple weeks of rain I got some powdery mildew/rust on some of my zucchini leaves. I snipped them off to prevent the spread and the plant is doing well now.

My cucumber plant totally died off though. This year and last year we had bad luck with cucumbers. The leaves just shrivel up and the whole plant dies.

imafan26
Mod

The rain brought out the slugs to feast and they ate 3 cucumbers and a squash to the ground. I also suspect they ate some of my corn seedlings too.

Some of the weeds are so tall now, I don't know where to start.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”