cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Potato Question

Hey everyone!! Been a long time since I have been here... sorry for being a lurker lately.

But got a potato question for you all. My potatoes this year grew super tall!! I couldnt keep up with mounding them as they got so big. They are all laying down, starting to die off, but never flowered.
I went through and found a TON of potatoes, some good size, some small egg sized.
Is their dying off just a sign that they are done? Nothing is snapped, nor do they look like they are dying, just went through their stages and now are doing their typical thing.
Will it be ok to just leave them until it cools down. OR should I go through and pick all the potatoes?
Thank you!!!

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>dying off
that's what they do, perfectly normal, no problems.

some years my potatoes bloom, some years they don't, and I'm not smart enough to know the difference....

there is a another thread about the banner year for potatoes -

I like to leave mine in the ground until I'm ready to dig/eat them. I think they stay freshest that-a-way - at least in my climate. hot dry conditions may not work quite the same.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can leave them in the ground for a couple of months. Dig them before fall rains set in.

They are likely still putting on tuber size if the vine is still green.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Thank you!!!!! I was worried something had happened to them, or I didnt hill them enough. They for the most part are all still pretty green and vibrant, just laying down.
I actually needed some potatoes the other day and plucked a few and they tasted GREAT!!!! Love Yukon Golds.
I figure for now I will just pluck what I need, and in a month or so pull them all.
Thank you for the info! I really appreciate it!!!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”