Jeffross1968

Identification please!

So one of my container plants has me completely stumped. I "think" it can only be one of either a few different tomatoes (including husk tomato), or peppers, including Mucho Nacho jalapeno, tabasco, or some kind of bell. But frankly, it doesn't look like any of that. Thing is, I started this by seed and transplanted into the container. So I'm lost...any help would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that those pods you see eventually unfurl into new leaves. So far, there hasn't been any flowers of any kind.

Sasha
Cool Member

Looks like a groundsel (Senecio) to me. Or if not, some other composite.

applestar
Mod

Yes. It looks like a weed has taken over, unfortunately. Those pods should open into dandelion-like fluffy seed head.

-- I see a small tomato leaf or leaves peeking in the first photo in the triangle between the middle bucket and the hardware cloth/wire mesh! it's still there waiting to be rescued. :wink:

-- I *think* I see a potato leaf variety tomato leaf in the left bucket 1st photo.

Jeffross1968

I removed the plant from the surrounding others, which do include peppers and tomatoes, hoping that I could take a better picture without so much intrusion from other things. I'm really confused how this could have happened. NOTHING in those buckets were started from seed IN the buckets. Everything was started indoors, in peat pots, then transplanted into buckets. Daily, I'm out there watering (they dry out quick on my porch). I've literally watched this thing grow from seed to what you see in these pictures. Is it possible that a seed from these things (from Burgess Seed Co.) was mixed in with other stuff? I don't see any other way this could have happened....

Here are the new pics....

mattie g
Green Thumb

I can be of no help. Just wanted to say that, IMO, that thing is *ugly*.

Jeffross1968

mattie g wrote:I can be of no help. Just wanted to say that, IMO, that thing is *ugly*.
Yep, it really is, LOL

mattie g
Green Thumb

Jeffross1968 wrote:
mattie g wrote:I can be of no help. Just wanted to say that, IMO, that thing is *ugly*.
Yep, it really is, LOL
:lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Weeds are ubiquitous! If it is groundsel, the seeds are tiny, with fluffy white hairs, so they float long distances on the wind. Many other weed seeds are also carried in the wind, with various transport methods. Weed seeds can be in any soil (including supposedly sterile potting soil), and can sprout after long dormancy when conditions get just right for them. Weed seeds can be tracked around on bird feet or distributed in bird or other animal poop. They can be in the fur of your pets.

Gardeners are never surprised when weeds show up! :)

Jeffross1968

Guess I'll rip it up then and plant something quickly while the season is still young! Thanks for all the help!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”