MaryDel

Best Potato Season Ever? Mid Atlantic

How's everyones potato plants doing? I'm well on track for the best season ever. I'm not sure why, the ground I am growing them in is very hard with a lot of clay, but they are going crazy. The plants are the biggest I've ever grown.

I pulled one yesterday and got 12 potatoes from it, 3 the size of apples, and the rest the size of large eggs. The plants are just starting to blossom. I guess the coldest spring on record we had (ostensibly caused by global warming) :roll: has something to do with it.......

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

MaryDel wrote:I pulled one yesterday and got 12 potatoes from it, 3 the size of apples, and the rest the size of large eggs.
You can't start a thread like this without pictures!!!!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Mine are going pretty nuts too. I really should hill them one more time but I got no more soil or compost to hill them with!! They are just starting to flower though so I imagine they're done. I cannot wait to see the potatoes that I get! I have a big family reunion in early July and I would LOVE to take some produce to it. Will try to get potato pics tomorrow. I've hilled mine twice.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Some good some bad. My garden is a patchwork of different soil typse so I don't know if it the bad sections are soil composition, or the way I planted them, or my seed potatoes. But half of them are doing great.

Brandywinegirl

I planted mine late because of the frost we got in April. I planted Masquerade and Gold Yukon. They are flowering and I hope to still have taters by July. All of this rain is definitely helping. I have to cover the hills with salt hay asap!!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

They're doing great here in central Va also! I accidentally hit one with the mower when I was getting between my rows. I pulled it up since there was no chance of recovery and was happy to find 4 big red potatoes on a plant that was only about 2 weeks out of the ground. Maybe 3 weeks. The blooms are on them, they are now probably the tallest plants I have ever had and just look great. I think the rain has come for us at just the right mount of spacing with good soakings when it does rain. Nice sunny days in between....actually the whole garden is flourishing. I'm giving half the credit to my new traditional raised beds though. Everything is going like gangbusters. Glad to hear others are having good fortune as well. :)

RogueRose
Green Thumb

When do you all harvest your potatoes after flowering?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

When the plants start to die back.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I dig them up as needed until winter threatens and then I dig the rest becuse I then have a cool garage to store them in. But plant die back signals the skins to harden up.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

MaryDel wrote: I guess the coldest spring on record we had (ostensibly caused by global warming) :roll: has something to do with it.......
There is NO such thing at global warming. It is a known fact the earth goes through hot and cold cycles. It is also known that Earth warming is triggered by Sun spots and the Sun has been having solar storms for several years. The so called Global Warming will stop when the Solar Storms Stop. Why do people need a reason to believe in such stuff science has provided the evidence.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
MaryDel wrote: I guess the coldest spring on record we had (ostensibly caused by global warming) :roll: has something to do with it.......
There is NO such thing at global warming. It is a known fact the earth goes through hot and cold cycles. It is also known that Earth warming is triggered by Sun spots and the Sun has been having solar storms for several years. The so called Global Warming will stop when the Solar Storms Stop. Why do people need a reason to believe in such stuff science has provided the evidence.
Completely aside from the Global warming debate, Science has given us LOTS of proof, only to turn around later and go "oops, we were wrong". Like when they said margarine was better for you than butter ad a bazillion other things. Just saying.

Whether Global warming is a trendy thing or not, the things people do to avert it inarguably are good. Like requiring factories to lessen their pollution output etc. I say let em ride it till it dies even if it isn't true and don't listen to science too much. Think for yourself.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”