evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Possible To Start Lettuce in Winter & Keep Going All Year?

Is it possible to germinate lettuce in winter and keep it going all year? I have planted young lettuce plants in autumn and picked all winter but this time I have only got seeds which I have not planted. Our winter this year is so mild I thought of trying anyway but because the days are short they may not grow properly. What do you think?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

That site information you were directed to fill out , is where the lettuce hits the bed. If you live in zone 6 or warmer you might be able to grow lettuce (or other cole crops) through most of the winter under a plastic hoop house.

The hot months are too stressful for most lettuce, But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I'm not sure what site you are referring to? Lettuce will grow really well in my garden for winter but not in summer. I was perhaps not clear; can I still germinate the seeds if it is only a few weeks to winter solstice? Perhaps if start them indoors in a warm environment they will still grow if I harden the seedlings off and plant them out.

applestar
Mod

It will be less confusing for other members to answer your questionsifyou put your location in the profile.
I think you are in the southern hemisphere, yes?

I live where we have hard freezes and winter temp in the single digits to negative single digits fahrenheit, so I can't specifically say whether your plan will work, but I grew lettuce and other salad greens (spinach, asian greens, silverbeet, and some egyptian topset onions, garlic) last winter by starting them around beginning of December in a 2 gal bucket drilled with drainage holes and "hardening them off" to live in the unheated garage under lights where temps could fall to upper 20's °F.

They grew slowly but stocky and sturdy and made a wonderful gift a month later when they were in baby greens stage for my brother and his partner :D

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I didn't know I could. Thanks.

I have planted mixed lettuce seeds and I have them on my fridge so we will see. Also, they will be still small in spring and will probably go wild then so I guess we will be eating salad in then!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”