SPierce
Greener Thumb

Sweet Potato Slips

Hi everyone... it's been a long time ! Quick question; people tend to keep asking me about gardening stuf, and I'm just not sure on this one! a friend got some sweet potato slips, but she can't plant them until sunday and wants to preserve them. My first instinct was to tell her to keep them in water/moist, so shes going to do so. Should I tell her to do something else, or was my instinct OK/right on ?

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I was told to keep them in a dark warm place, like under the sink or in a cupboard if I was going to wait a couple days before planting. Mine ended up getting a bit dry and not so firm, and would be a gross mess to try and eat, but I planted them and they are growing really nicely now. I don't think storing them in water would be bad, but it doesn't seem to matter to the potatoes growth if they are firm and hydrated or old and squishy. :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what the soil temps are in Mass. right now. I looked into the possibility of growing sweet potatoes two, maybe three, years ago.

Sweet potatoes are happy when soil temps are never below 76 deg. F (can't remember my source ATM; sorry). Since the soil in my "yard," even the raised boxes, may get to 76 deg. F during the day but definitely doesn't stay there at night, there was basically no way that sweet potatoes would work for me. :( So...I still purchase them. *sigh*

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”