Roseamore
Cool Member

What are these spots on my Malabar Spinach leaves?

Dear Everyone,

I recently started growing Malabar spinach; the plants are about two feet long now. Recently I have been finding small, circular transparent spots on some of the leaves. I am a little alarmed because I realized today that the sports are getting bigger.

I have attached a picture; can anyone tell me what these spots are and how I can treat them.

I've also seen some of them on my sweet basil.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Roseamore
Attachments
spot_leaf.jpg
spot_leaf.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 4517 times

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Hi Roseamore,

I am not likely to be of much help here because I don't really know much about plant diseases and certainly not those in the tropics.

What I can guess is that the picture just shows a necrotic leaf spot. That doesn't mean anything more than that the tissue within the spot has died. The cause may be a virus like the tomato spotted wilt virus.

Here is something on this disease Cornell Vegetable MD online (link). Notice the great number of different plants that can be infected with this virus, usually spread by thrips. The control of the disease just comes down to trying to control the thrips, the vector for the disease.

In my reading, I have learned that some plants don't show any symptoms but the thrips can spread the virus from them. Partly, symptoms depend on other, environmental factors. So, a plant with the virus isn't destined for death or even any real lose of production. Others may sicken severely and die.

I might take the leaves off that have the spots but that may or may not help. It isn't uncommon for me to see problems like this in my own garden but only rarely will a disease show up that kills plants there.

These are just my best guesses and I Wish You Good Luck with your garden and hope that there aren't any more serious problems for you with this.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Are you sure that isn't just bird poop?

I have grown malabar spinach, except for aphids it does not get many viruses. It is not an easy plant to eat. It is very slimy.

applestar
Mod

When they are small and not many leaves, you do worry about spots, but trust me, malabar spinach is going to get big and you'll have plenty of leaves. Last year was my first time growing them, but they seem to like some shade during the hottest time of the day, and plenty of water.

Sometimes, damaged leaves can indicate disease, but I wouldn't worry unless more leaves are affected. The bad spot can become entry point for disease or can signal pests to come bother it, so you could snip off part of the leaf with the spot or the entire leaf.

The spots on the basil may or may not be related, but same thing -- you're not going to eat the spotty leaves so just cut them out or cut them off. :wink:

If you suspect disease, throw the affected leaves out in the trash and do not leave them around on the ground or put in the compost pile.

Roseamore
Cool Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info.

Applestar I will cut off the damaged areas and see how that goes (I'll go do it right now).

Iamfan26, I'm sure it is not bird poop.

DigitS I will check out the disease you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Roseamore

P.S. Can't believe how much stress I'm getting from growing a few plants :shock:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”