pzak640
Newly Registered

Need help identifying corn disease/pest please.

First time growing early sunglow corn and everything was going real smooth until a corner of our baby corn plants started showing signs of shredding and then it spread to the rest and I just had to pull them all up. Now I'm going to start again. I would really appreciate knowing what did this and more importantly if it will affect the next crop (resistant hybrid varieties etc) and how to prevent/treat it. I'm using shallow raised beds (<12 inches tall) and my guess is that it is some type of fungus but it could be a pest or soil deficiency. The main characteristics are that the leaves look shreaded and the inside of the stalks are showing signs of something that looks like "brown sugar" sprinkled around. I've attached a picture that will help. Thanks
Attachments
0529131724.jpg
0529131724.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Those corn leaves in the picture look like slug damage to me.

That much damage in itself won't stop that corn from producing if you can slow down what ever is eating it.

Brown sugar stuff? Not a clue.

applestar
Mod

Wow, I was thinking the same -- that those look like slug damage... Except the holes are much much bigger than the ones my slug damaged corn have.... then remembered that further south and out west, you folks have those huge slugs as big as your fingers. Where re you located?

pzak640
Newly Registered

I'm in Tampa, Florida. I have tried to pay attention for insects/slugs. I have not seen any insects eating it or slug trails. I water them just after sunset and before sunrise too. I had about 50 plants but they all had the brown sugar develop so it must be related somehow.

applestar
Mod

The "brown sugar" could be sort of "saw dust" and another sign that they are being munched on, though that sort of thing is more typical of grasshoppers/locusts/crockets than slugs. No sign of munching insects at all? Any caterpillars? Ants?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I was thinking possibly grasshopper/locusts, but those grooves. I believe that only a slug with its radula could gouge out the green and leave the membrane intact.

pzak640
Newly Registered

Nope I haven't noticed anything but I could always be wrong I suppose. The odd part is that I am growing all kinds of things this year and the whole raised bed is on top of asphalt and I've got potatoes, strawberries, and cucumbers right next to the corn and elsewhere and only the corn is showing problems. Picture attached
Attachments
0518131332.jpg
0518131332.jpg (60.71 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Check it out!

Click

pzak640
Newly Registered

Its worth mentioning I live within a few minutes walking distance from the ocean.. I thought slugs don't like salt or sand??

imafan26
Mod

It really does look like slug and snail damage. If you want to check for slugs go out early in the morning while the morning dew has not dried up or after sunset with a flashlight. They particularly like to go after the new growth or very young plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”