joed2323

Re: Lady Bugs - Friend or Foe?

valley wrote:when they're in the larva stage, they'll eat anything including each other.
Only if we can figure out a way to actually get them to eat each other instead of our plants

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Your ladybug larvae eat your plants instead of other bugs? I was reading that there are a few rare varieties that do that. Would you be able to post a picture of the ladybugs you have so we can see them? Or maybe post a link from online? The ones I have are only the 7 spot, convergent, and Oak scale destroying ladybugs, but they all eat other bugs, kind of standard ladybugs really, lol

Cola82
Green Thumb

My only real experience with ladybugs has been when they infest a home, which they have done twice in my life. Once when my dad was living in this tiny little house in the middle of nowhere (they were so thick he was vacuuming them off the ceiling) and later when I was living in my boyfriend's parents' house. I found one inside my current home this spring and immediately took it outside and put it on my plants, but that's about it.

I so rarely encounter them outside.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

They were probably nesting in those houses Cola. They find a nice warn corner to nestle in for the winter and then practically explode out of there once it gets to a certain temperature. My mom has ladybugs that nested in her yard this year, but are staying in the yard.

Cola82
Green Thumb

After staying at said boyfriend's parents' house, you could literally pour the dessicated ladybug carcasses out of boxes, bags, and drawers. They got everywhere.

Anyway, lucky for your mom. I'd love to have a yard full of them. :D

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I love ladybugs, but I think that would really annoy me too, LOL! That is more than I have ever seen!

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I love them. I've seen a few around from the ones I dumped last year. Would like to see more. I plan to get an order in soon.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”