reedjj74
Newly Registered

corn leaves cracking

any ideas on why corn leaves crack? some of my leaves have cracked and the leaf will crease in half width wise and the main stem/vein that runs the length of the leaf breaks as well. my setup: I have 1/2 gph drippers running at 40 minutes x2 week (temps have been between 70-85 here in california) my corn plants are between 3 and 4 feet tall. soil is compost, potting soil, and backyard dirt (zone 9). I have heard that its either under watering or over fertilizing. I have furrowed 10-10-10 into the soil and also use a bat/fish poop diluted in water fertilizer every 2 weeks (about 2 tsp per gallon of water). my corn plants had the same symptoms before I left for two weeks with clusters of yellow/brown dots on some leaves and some dried out portions of the leaves (typically in the middle of the leaf) but did NOT have leaves with broken veins that creased width wise. I will post a picture once the sun comes up over here. any help is appreciated. thanks

joed2323

Do you remenber if they started doing this before or after you started fertilizing?

Have you tried giving them just a nitrogen boost with something like blood meal, this should have been side dressed when they were about a foot tall

Hopefully you can post a picture

reedjj74
Newly Registered

it was doing some similar things before I left for two weeks which is why I added the fertilizer

RogueRose
Green Thumb

That is completely normal.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”