jemsister

My setup...

Well, I thought I'd share my garden space with you guys. I use the term space loosely. The landowners don't want us digging up a garden plot (I can't say I blame them, what with it being a rental and all!), so what I have is a mish-mash of containering on the patio, and then climbing peas and bush beans in the flower bed.

The raised bed is an old dresser. I don't have anything planted in the two totes right now, unless weeds count. ;) Not sure what to put there. Probably herbs, although I'm considering flowers that my two year old can pick. Daisies or something.

Anyway, the dresser has some cut flower mix thrown into the far end, and then on the near end I have a Sun Gold tomato planted. The tomato almost died of frost damage when we had an unexpected late freeze, but it made a smashing comeback.

This was earlier in May, before the frost damage. My cover turned out to be not warm enough. The canopy came down due to high winds, but I'm going to try to put it back up when the sun comes back out. The tomato won't fit in that tiny box cloche thing much longer.

The tomato as of a couple of days ago (it was down to the stem and a couple of inch long leaves after the frost damage). Looking much better!

Here is a portion of my stand of climbing sugar snaps. The flower bed extends out as a narrow house hugger, and that's where my bush beans are growing, as well as more sugar snaps (amounting to an extra 2x8 planting space not shown).

I'm also growing some zucchini in a soil bag. This is more of an experiment than anything else. Someone recommended the method to me, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Anyway, to sum up, I'm a novice and mostly don't know what I'm doing, but thankfully I have the benefit of some more experienced friends. =D

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

looking darn good!

question: I hope you put drainage holes in those plastic tubs and the plastic liner - you don't want them collecting water . . .

jemsister

Yep, definitely put in drainage holes. I made that mistake the first time I tried to garden four years ago (this is my third attempt at veggies). And it was doubly bad because we get so much rain here--way more than I had previously been used to, living in the desert. (I grew up in western Oregon, you'd think I'd have remembered the climate!) Anyway, yeah, everything has drainage holes now, LOL!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”