Brandywinegirl

Straw Bales for Growing Vegetables - Your Thoughts?

I have heard good and bad things about using straw bales for growing veggie plants. Has anyone had success with this?
Thanks!

jemsister

I haven't tried it, but I would be afraid of fungus/mold growing in it. We have a lot of rain and humidity though, so fungus is a major concern here.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't tried it, but type straw bales in the Google custom search box above and you will find a number of things written here about them. I think it only works if the straw is "conditioned" first, treated with something so that it starts to break down.

Brandywinegirl

Thanks for the feedback - I will check it out on Google.
:D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sure, but I didn't mean Google (that searches the whole web), I meant the box right above here that is labelled Google Custom Search, which only searches HelpfulGardener and will find you the threads here about it.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I did it for a couple of years. It is not as good, easy or cheap as using decent soil. After two years I dug the rotted straw into the soil and deep dug the dirt for better root penetration, added more ammendments etc. and now it is a good garden patch. I could have done all of that and skipped the straw, but it was a gimic to try, like upside down tomatoes.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think that using just straw would be lacking in nutrients and minerals, and as said a mold and mildew problem. I have never done such so I am just guessing.

Brandywinegirl

So I will continue to make my soil better & skip the straw bales. Thanks!

bnoles

Brandywinegirl wrote:So I will continue to make my soil better & skip the straw bales. Thanks!
A wise decision from my experience also.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”