jkgriffin234
Newly Registered

Whyy?? Yellowcrook neck squash wilting during the day

I've been trying not to overwater, but sometimes I tend to. It wilts when it is in full sun only and perks up at night. It seems to be growing slowly.
Attachments
Wilting during the day
Wilting during the day
IMG_0868.JPG (53.4 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

veggiedan
Cool Member

That's a pretty small plant. The roots aren't very deep. Afternoon wilting is a standard response to heat stress for squash, especially in such small plants. As long as the stems are still erect, the wilting isn't going to hurt the plant much. As the roots get deeper the wilting will subside. If you're getting regular afternoon wilting, you sure aren't overwatering. Give it more. Give it a good thorough soak and then, when it starts to wilt, presumably a few days later, do it again.

You don't say where you are, but if it's hot and dry, that won't help. Because the sides get heated as well as the soil on top, containers tend to dry out more quickly.

If the wilting is just on one stem or vine, it's not about water. Check for squash vine borers.

imafan26
Mod

Sometimes, it is the pot that is heating up. Certain pot materials get hotter than others. If the pot is too hot to touch then it is hot for the plant too. I found planting in styrofoam, grouping plants, or double potting to insulate the pots helps with wilting from the pots heating up. Usually once the leaves get large enough to shade the pots, the wilting is not so bad as long as the pot is large enough to accommodate the plant.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have "Bush" Buttercup squash in pots. My pots are 3 gallons and the plants are growing pretty big. I do have them in a location where they get some shade during the day, I suggest you do the same. BTW, what size pot are you growing yours in? I have 3 plants growing in one pot and 2 in the other. I am not sure whether to thin them or not.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I've been trying not to overwater,
Over watering is usually only in areas where the drainage is poor. Not usually the case in a pot if it has drainage holes in the bottom. You can pour on the water till the pot is saturated. Excess will drain off. Yes, wilted plants usually mean "We need water." It is not unusual for plants to wilt in very hot weather though even if watered well. Try watering it more and see if that helps.

applestar
Mod

I don't know if I'll grow yellow crookneck again... I was discouraged by the way they got infested by SVB's.
But the last time I grew them, I made these :()

-- the vines get pretty big even when grown rather casually...
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 05#p147505

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”