jesshug
Newly Registered

Yellow Green Bean Leaves w/ Brown Spots

I have a raise bed planter with 4 green bean plants. Two of the plats have been significantly effected by something that is causing the leaves to turn yellow, stunted growth, and recently I've found brown edges and spots on them. The bottom leaves seem to be effected first.

The two other plants are only mildly effected at the moment, but they are getting worse. Please see the picture :(
Attachments
image[5].jpg
image[5].jpg (47.6 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
photo[1].jpg
photo[1].jpg (36.57 KiB) Viewed 2313 times

vinyl217

Could be any number of things going on there. Nitrogen deficiency can cause yellowing on the older leaves, as can overwatering due to root rot. Also, a manganese deficiency can cause yellowing/browning on older leaves. Could be bean rust, though it appears to be more nutrient related. Check to see if there's any brown 'dust' on the undersides of the leaves. If it's indeed a rust (fungus) you can spray them with sulfur. If you don't suspect a fungus, my advice would be to let the soil dry out and then fertilize with a balanced fertilizer containing a higher N value as well as Manganese. Hope this helps.

imafan26
Mod

It can also be over watering. Plant roots need to breathe, if the soil is too wet the leaves may turn yellow and fungal diseases also like the humid conditions.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”