jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cabbage Failed

I planted a row of cabbage seeds. Nothing at all came of it. Hmmmm, bad seed? Bad conditions? Critter attacks? I know lots of bugs like cabbage. I looked at the store for cabbage plants, and there were some for $0.50 each. Wow! I could not see putting that much into a plant which I was to tend for two months and in the end it is worth $1.00. I guess I will plant some more seeds.

amylong
Cool Member

I know! I probably would have problem selling off my seedlings too...they are priceless to me haha:) but I think the local farmer market sold me four strawberry plants for 3 dollars. With all the investment they make, like lights, water, soil, seeds..I hope they make a profit.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I used to start cabbage in a starting bed, in the garden. It would be transplanted from there to where it would be growing for the season.

Copenhagen Market worked well for me that way. It is considered a "mid-season."

Last year, I had a strange idea. Just about ready to give up on cabbage because of the aphid attacks, I tried setting out starts very late - like July. Since they were not able to have much of a season going out that late here, I chose an early Dutch variety. Didn't grow! Everything in its season, I guess :wink: . I'm back to growing early and late Dutch cabbage from starts sown about the end of March.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”