pointer80

getting ready to plant veggies...

Hi all, getting ready to put veggie plants in ground just wondering what I should when I put them in the ground? What I mean is should I put anything extra in the hole when I plant? I am going to plant tomatoe's, peppers, melons,pumpkins, zuchinis, acorn sq., cukes, and cold weather plants that I know now I should have planted much earlier. I will know next year. Thanks all.

joed2323

Pointer where are you located at in northern michigan?? Are you above the bridge?
I'm located about 30-45 mins north of the mi/wi border in hermansville or 30 mins west of escanaba mi.

What type of soil are you growing in, have you added any compost or manure?
As long as your soil is up to par you should be fine without adding anything...

I do know people who swear by miracle grow who dig holes for their tomatoes and such and fill up the hole a bit then put their plant into the ground.. different strokes for different folks

I grow sweet corn so every year I'm constantly adding to my soil since sweet corn is a heavy feeder.
I also grow about all the other vegetables you mentioned.

I already have my broccoli,onions,carrots in the ground.
I recently just finished adding compost and manure to my garden and raised bed areas so tonight in goes the sweet corn and other crops... I will be busy planting my tomatoes and everything else the next few days...

I'm going to plant 4 or five rows of sweet corn then in a week or two plant another 4-5 rows, to space out the harvest a little bit,

pointer80

joed2323, I live below the bridge about a hour north of Grand Rapids. I plan on top dressing with some aged horse manure or mixing some into the soil and tilling it in, depends how much time I have to haul manure. I plan on starting to plant this weekend.

imafan26
Mod

It would be better to prepare the soil first and fresh manure is not top dressing and can actually burn plants.
Add 3-4 inches of compost and organic fertilizer, not manure unless it has been aged or hot composted at least 120 days. Mix it into the top 8 inches of soil over the entire area not just the planting holes. Mulch after planting to conserve moisture.

pointer80

Thanks for the reply's everyone. imafan26, manure I have access too is about three years old. I was going to mix it with top soil and spread it on top. If I have time and it goes well I am going to try to get enough loads to spread it on and till it in.

pointer80

Thanks for the reply's everyone. imafan26, manure I have access too is about three years old. I was going to mix it with top soil and spread it on top. If I have time and it goes well I am going to try to get enough loads to spread it on and till it in.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”