JayPoc
Greener Thumb

lol....36 hours ago, frost watch...this afternoon, 90+

So in the span of 36 hours I go from worrying that my maters, peppers, and cukes would freeze to death...to worrying that my peas will wither and die from high heat. Craziness. I worry a lot, but in a fun way (if that makes any sense). But at the end of the day, I could lose my entire garden and still be able to feed my family. Can you imagine what it would be like if your family's survival depended on the whims of mother nature?

amylong
Cool Member

That is crazy. here it feels more like april than may:( Still a few more showers before I am going to try to leave my plants outside. I rememeber from history class that civilizations have been built and disappeared due to mother nature.:(

joed2323

It has been a crazy spring for most of us... I'm ready for actual summer temps. I have my garden ready for planting, I will be planting heavy these next couple of days

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We went thru nearly a week of 80°+ days. The hottest place in the lower 48 for a couple of days was in the Columbia Basin, only 100 miles from the Canadian border! Saturday it was 84° then Wednesday morning it was 37° in my garden. There was frost 5 miles away at about the same elevation.

Unfortunately, I thought the 40° Tuesday morning would be the low point. After I set out 38 tomato plants Tuesday, I learned that forecasts had been changed. Got to do some of that "fun worrying" as I began monitoring the temperature out there beginning at 2:30am, yesterday . . . :wink:

All was good.

Yes, I have an idea about people who garden like their lives depend on it. Sometimes, their crops fail because of weather or war and they have to depend very strongly on their families. Usually, their families are large and if not, they can be in serious trouble.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”