lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Shading Options

I plant my early tomatoes, squash and corn in some boxes on the side of a small pier, to take advantage of early spring sunshine. That same sun is HOT by July 1, so much that I think it takes a toll on the plants. I have been considering options to provide some shade on those hottest days. I envision building something like those roll out covers that are used on trucks hauling dirt, rocks, trash etc. Also, something like a fold out boat cover. Ideas anyone? As you can see in picture below, I have tomato hoops about five feet tall.

applestar
Mod

One of the biggest issues I encounter when providing overhead shading material is that the sun is at an angle Even at noon, and the structure needs to be off to the side (looking lopsided/asymmetrical) or angled/cover down one side.

Is this not as much of an issue for you since you are further south? Which way does the most intense sun shine from? (maybe that's what you are going to address with the "fold out boat cover?)

I was picturing one of those automated or hand cranked roll out out patio covers going both sides from a central beam down the length of the pier....

...or a roman blind (accordion fold when attached string is pulled) type arrangement typically used with a patio arbor or inside greenhouse?

...the truck one rolls up a tarp right?

Ah! How about adapting roll up side wall design for greenhouses with a shade cloth?

...I would think the BIGGEST concern would be how to handle the wind. The material should definitely be wind permeable so it doesn't take the pier with it if a storm blows it away. :eek:

I'm thinking aloud and rambling... :roll: I'm sure cleverer folks than me have better ideas to contribute to the brainstorming. :wink:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

A triangle shade cloth might be interesting for the space. It could in fact be hung in an asymmetrical way yet still look nice. While it wouldn't give 100% all of the time to all plants, the shade would move across all of the plants, limiting the duration of any full sun exposure.

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/cate ... shade-kits

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Keep them thoughts and letters coming! I do want it to look decent, and I realize 100% is not possible, and not needed. Last year I placing some black cloth weed control material over the hoops. Not sure it did any good, as the pots I had out there last year were too small. And I think that affected the plants more than just the direct hot sun.

applestar
Mod

OK -- a CRAZY design concept : you could take alex's triangle shade idea, and rig up a pseudo-"mast and boom" and add decorative elements so the whole pier would "look" like a sailboat or a tall ship.... (I have NO IDEA how but it sounds interesting....:>)

...or maybe not their itself... It wold look like there is a sailboat moored to the pier?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

my bet is, given adequate moisture, full sun is not a problem for the green bits.

full sun does heat up the pots thence the soil and a lotta' stuff does not like "hot roots"

I'd be tempted to try a "pot shade" first - something like gigantic Sonotube to block direct sun on the pot with an air gap to 'vent' the heat.....

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:OK -- a CRAZY design concept : you could take alex's triangle shade idea, and rig up a pseudo-"mast and boom" and add decorative elements so the whole pier would "look" like a sailboat or a tall ship.... (I have NO IDEA how but it sounds interesting....:>)

...or maybe not their itself... It wold look like there is a sailboat moored to the pier?
May be a crazy idea, but I like it. As a matter of fact, when I begin thinking of added sides to the pier to grow tomatoes I looked long and hard for a couple of old canoes to attach to each side and fill with dirt. Was not able to find any so just built boxes, but I will have to give some thought to making an entire sailboat out of it. Maybe I then could fish from it and get on an episode of "Dangerous Catches".....the danger would be my wife would kill me, but the grands would love it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”