mashikoboy
Newly Registered

Weak Artichoke Plants

After many unsuccessful attempts at growing artichoke in Japan, where I live, I have succeeded in getting my plants to reach to a height of about 14 inches (35cm). However at this time the leaves are sagging, and breaking at the base of the plants.

I have no idea what might be causing this problem. I hope someone can inform me as to what I might do to save my artichokes.

Many thanks, in advance!

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Mashikoboy,
Do you know what variety of artichoke you are growing? Did you start them from seed? It surely sounds like the plants are suffering from to much water or possibly to little - is this the case? They surely like loamy soil and cool climates with plenty of sunlight. What has your temperature been lately? Most artichokes will not produce a crop the first season. and so must be wintered over with a thick layer of mulch. Welcome to the Helpful Gardener and good luck. Don

mashikoboy
Newly Registered

Hi Don!

The two artichoke plants in question were purchased at a nursery as "starters"; in other words they were very small plants when we obtained them. Unfortunately we don't know what variety they are.

We have a lot of sunlight here, but this part of Japan can become quite hot from June onward. In the past, most of the artichokes I have tried to grow wilted when exposed to the afternoon sun. So this year I have hung some perforated plastic mateirial above them, so they get sun from an oblique angle (mornings) but they are protected from the blast when Old Sol is directly overhead.

Since posting my inquiry, I very loosely bound the leaves together with string, so that they would not bend and break at the stems. They don't seem to mind, and they may have gotten a little taller since I did this. Perhaps the leaves won't need binding when the plants have grown further.

Artichokes are generally unavailable in this country. We can occasionally find them at very fancy vegetable markets in a few large cities. I think they are flown in from outside Japan. They are EXPENSIVE! I dream of eating steamed artichoke from my own garden!

Many thanks for your advice!

Mashikoboy

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”