SLC

Potato/Bugs Question

Yesterday, I was finally able to plant my potatoes. I know I am late as usual, but last year I started maybe 1 week earlier and was blessed with tons of potatoes, so I think I'll be okay. Anyway, while I was digging a hole, I found an old potato that I must have missed last year, and when I pulled it up, there were like a million teeny tiny white wormy looking things all over the old rotting potato. They were maybe 1/8 in long and as slim as a needle. There were tons of them crawling around centered on this potato. What are they? I was so grossed out that I took the whole shovel load and dumped it in the garbage. Then dug around and tried to find as many as I could and threw them out as well. I'm sure there were more though. I didn't know what to do so I planted my potato anyway. I continued to dig another 35 holes and did not find this again. Will these things hurt my new seed potato? Do you think they will hurt my whole crop?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Potato/Bugs Question

There are several different tiny white worm-like things, but I'm thinking the most likely is fungus gnat larvae.

They can damage roots of plants. It is likely a sign that your soil is staying too moist. The fungus gnats have to have moisture. If you just let the soil dry out btween waterings that will likely take care of it.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

SLC

rainbowgardener wrote:There are several different tiny white worm-like things, but I'm thinking the most likely is fungus gnat larvae.

They can damage roots of plants. It is likely a sign that your soil is staying too moist. The fungus gnats have to have moisture. If you just let the soil dry out btween waterings that will likely take care of it.
What else do you think it could be? I don't think it was fungas gnat larvae cuz we haven't had any rain in a couple of weeks and at least the top 12 inches were light, fluffy and sandy soil - dry as a bone. This is a raised bed garden about 18 inches high.

applestar
Mod

Nematodes?
... Or maybe immature wireworms? The love potatoes. I can't leave my harvest in the ground because they would be riddled by them, and they introduce rot. I HATE finding squishy rotten potatoes. :x
Another reason is field mice or chipmunks have been finding them, and gnawing on them before I get to them.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”