estorms

peppers

How far apart should I plant bell peppers in a raised bed with good soil?

shadylane
Green Thumb

Sweet pepper plants take on a bushy form. I give them plenty of elbow room of 18-24" apart give or take. If in rows I space them about the same, two to three feet apart. They do not require their soil to have a huge fertility. And perferr soil on the dryer side. That may not be a problem for you having a raised bed, which tends to heat up and dry out quicker. If the soil is dry down to 3-4" when tested with your green thumb..give them a deep drink.
I find that peppers give more of a fruit crop by not loving them so much...

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I concur with Shadylane on the spacing. I do mine in 18" spaces apart and I also like to stake them. I have a lot of those 4 ft. long solid metal poles that look a bit like small diameter rebar used in concrete work. They have a triangular flat piece of metal welded on one end to help them stay firmly in the ground. I got them from Tractor Supply. I've found my pepper plants tend to fall over when they are getting full of fruit around mid summer.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

same here - roughly 24 inches.

not so sure about the let 'em go dry thing - I use a deep mulch but I do not let the soil go dry.

there's a new brand of tomato cages going around - same overall design but much heavier wire.

don't work a hoot for tomatoes - but they're great for peppers. especially when you get a early snow.....
Attachments
DSC_1118s.jpg

estorms

Thanks, and my sincerest sympathy on the demise of your peppers. They look like they were pretty big when it snowed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”